Shingles blown off question

Old 03-07-04, 09:13 AM
P.W. at home
Visiting Guest
Shingles blown off question

I just had a pole barn built and the shingles were put on in November, Location Lower MI.
With the wind storm that we just had producing 50 mile an hr winds it ripped a bunch of shingles off my new building.
I'm wondering if the carpenter did a bad job or not, when inspecting the shingles I only see 4 holes per shingle, is this enouph or not, I realize that the shingles have not seated down but I also looked at houses that were just built and I know their shingles did not seat yet and I did not see any damage to their roof. my pitch is 4/12 and the houses I am refering to have approx. 7/12 pitch.
Please give me some advise, should the carpenter be responsable, did he use enouph nails or was the wind to high.

Old 03-08-04, 06:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, four nails is the correct number. The first question is what weight shingle did you buy. The heavier the shingle, the more wind resistance it has. Also the type of shingle also has a bearing on the wind resistance. The average shingle is only good for 45 to 50 mph. I never put on a shingle less then 70 mph resistance. Also , for your info, the steeper the pitch the less wind resistance is on the shingles. I would call your roofer back, be nice to him, and tell him in the high wind you lost some shingles and could he stop by and look at it. He may fix them for nothing. You never know. Good Luck

Old 03-08-04, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Before the installer comes back check along the eaves and see what was used as a starter course. For some reason (time savings and/or stupidity?) lots of people think the correct way to install a starter strip is to install course of shingles with the "butt end" downward, instead of cutting the tabs off one course and installing them so you get a row of adhesive installed along the eaves.

If done wrong wind can easily get under the first course and creat lots of havoc. I once saw 50 plus houses in a new subdivision being roofed the wrong way. Since most of the surface of the earth is subject to high winds at one time or another this can be a big problem.

Frank

Old 03-09-04, 03:06 PM
If you have a complete shingle sample, there should be 8 nail holes.
4 in the proper nail placement and 4 near the top of the shingle. These 4 on the top would be from when you nailed the shingle on top of this one. The nails would have gone through the shingle on top and then through the one you're looking at.

Proper nail placement will ultimately give you 8 nails in each shingle.

Last edited by Delirious Nomad; 03-09-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 04:31 PM
Slumlandlord:
Starter strip comes in rolls. Only a wastefull person still cuts shingles. We have not cut a shingle in 4 years.

Old 03-09-04, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jack; Yes I think I do recall seeing it in rolls, since I can hire warm bodies for about $6.0 per hour it never bothered me too much. Actually I haven't done a roof myself in about 5 or 6 years. Once I was doing one and my wife looked up at me and said, "I'm sure glad we spent $12,000 so you could get your master's degree, you're the best educated roofer in Houston".

Frank

Old 03-10-04, 05:23 PM
Slumlandlord: I hear you loud and clear and I hear your wife also.
i am lucky and have a top roofing crew. I may be in your area within the next year. If I am I will look you up. Have a good day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: