Re-Roof Overlay

Old 03-10-04, 03:29 PM
DonL44
Visiting Guest
Question Re-Roof Overlay

Hi-

I am in need of a new roof. The original roof is 3-tab asphalt shingles that were stapled down, 13 years ago. Each year I have a fair amount of maintenance to pay for when the winter winds rip off a dozen or so shingles. So I want to just replace it.

I have received 3-4 estimates, and all seem to agree that the original roof is in good enough shape to just do an overlay (after patching the missing shingles).

My question is this...In a couple areas, the shingles have been blown down clear to the roofing felt, and the felt has been exposed to the weather for several weeks now. Does it need to be replaced (i.e., a complete tear down), or just patched and then laid over? I have no leaking in the attic of the home.

If I go the overlay route, I plan to use PABCO laminate 30-year architectural shingles over the 3-tab asphalt. Do I need to consider a layer of roofing felt over the old roof before the new architectural shingles are laid down? Or will they lay over the old roof fine? (The old roof is still smooth, no shingles curling or anything.)

Thank You!

Old 03-10-04, 04:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With the history of this roof loosing shingles and the reality of possible water damage from this issue, i would not overshingle. No matter what you do, i would NOT use 3tab shingles or allow them to staple the shingles again. A nailhead has a lot more holding power then a staplehead.

Old 03-10-04, 04:27 PM
DonL44
Visiting Guest
Re-Roof Overlay

That's a given. I'm not using those crappy shingles again. I was not the original owner of the house. Will the laminate architectural shingles lay decent over the three tab?

How will water damage be revealed? Just wet, molding plywood underneath? I don't have any leaking in the attic, no wet wood that I can see. How do you suspect water damage. It is only another grand to have the roof ripped off, but if it is not necessary....you know! I'm not eeping this house but maybe 10 more years.

Of course, I also believe in doing the job as well as the budget allows. Is it extremely advantageous to have the old roof torn off if possible, after 13 years. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it has been exposed to 30-40 inches of rain per year for 13 years.

Old 03-10-04, 05:19 PM
DonL: I have probably done 1000 roof in the Pacific NW even though I do not live there. Do not do an overlay. The Laminated shingles will not lay flat if you do an overlay. Fact of life. Also for your info, if you have shingles stapled, the warranty is void.

Old 03-11-04, 05:15 AM
J
Seeing as you are loosing shingles to the wind, it might be an easy tearoff. I would tearoff. You can do tearoff your self. Just do a little at a time, drying in as you go. A few years ago, i had a customer couple in their sixties who tore off 20 sqs of 3 tab a little at a time. They bagged up the old shingles and put them out on the curb for trash pickup. 4 trash days later the whole mess was gone! Going rate in Utah for tearoff is about $40/sq.
Jim
PS: If your roofer is recovering, remind him of potentailly different exposures, new shingles vs old. Also, may have to use longer nails to meet code.

Old 03-11-04, 01:24 PM
DonL44
Visiting Guest
Does anyone else reading this string agree that a tear-off is the way to go? I'm getting a pretty darn good rate from a recommended roofer, so an extra Grand isn't going to break me.

I just wanted some expert industry recommendation here. I want to do things right. Keeping in mind that architectural laminate shingles would be overlayed on 3-tab shingles, and I would keep the house for approximately 10-15 years.

The new roof whether overlay or tear down would be hand nailed (that is what the bid is for). I would have never stapled the roof. The home is part of a subdivision development 13 years ago, and I am guessing the developers got quite a deal on the "cheap" roof install for these homes (there is wind damage all over the subdivison). I am not the original owner of the home.

Thank you all for your comments, and any other expert comments that I receive to this question.

Old 03-12-04, 07:01 AM
P
To me, doing a layover is like putting clean clothes over your old dirty ones. We strip to the deck as a matter of normal practice and carry out any repairs necessary (to the deck) at that time. Besides the issue of the quality of the original shingles, make sure your roof ventilation is adequate. Most situations where a roof aged prematurely were related to lack of proper ventilation. This is true even of the architectural shingles. You don't say what the slope on your roof is, but if it's below 6:12, you may want to consider adding ice-and-water shield membrane along the eaves for protection against ice damming and water backup.

Old 03-12-04, 11:39 AM
Don, i think you would be better off ripping it off. Plus if you plan to resell in 10 years it will look better to the new owners/inspector if you have one layer of shingles on the roof. Multiple layers of shingles also double the weight load on your roof each layer. Also remember that Dimensional shingles weigh more then 3tab.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: