Ice Dams

Old 03-20-04, 12:46 AM
Pauley
Visiting Guest
Question Ice Dams

I live in a 20 year old Split Entry with no gutters. We just purchased the house this past Sept. During the winter months I have noticed a lot of icicles building up. I have not noticed any water damage, however I am concerned about the icicles and the possibilities of ice dams. I checked to be sure the soffett vents are clear. Being a disabled vet, I have a hard time getting close enough to the soffetts to see, but for the most part appear to be clear. I have large gable vents at either end of the house that are also clear. I installed a gable vent fan to try and keep the temperture as cold as the soffetts, so that the melting wouldn't take place at the top of the roof and trickle down to the soffetts and freeze. After all this, I still get the icicles. Should I be worried...?

I have attached a photo of my house, although taken in the summertime. You can see the roof style and such.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-04, 12:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
During the winter months I have noticed a lot of icicles building up. I have not noticed any water damage, however I am concerned about the icicles and the possibilities of ice dams. I checked to be sure the soffett vents are clear.
The picture didnt come up here. Id have to asked are they like hanging from the fascia board or on it. That would be your drip line. That fan to run it in the winter I dont think helps .We run attic vent fan in the summer to keep the heat down up there . If you have good vents in and out like you say I think your all right. You could have a so called ice shield there on the roof now If not have one put on when you reroof the home. There also are heat cables that you can put up there on the roof. to stop ice dams if you want . But when you say you didnt find any thing wet inside Id say your OK ED

Old 03-21-04, 01:57 AM
Pauley
Visiting Guest
re; Ice Dams

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc

The picture didnt come up here. Id have to asked are they like hanging from the fascia board or on it. That would be your drip line. That fan to run it in the winter I dont think helps .We run attic vent fan in the summer to keep the heat down up there . If you have good vents in and out like you say I think your all right. You could have a so called ice shield there on the roof now If not have one put on when you reroof the home. There also are heat cables that you can put up there on the roof. to stop ice dams if you want . But when you say you didnt find any thing wet inside Id say your OK ED
Thanks for the reply, Ed! The icicles start at the lower edge of the shingles and hang down over the facia board and hang all around the perimeter of the roof. My wife and I just moved in this past September and the previous owner had reshingled the back part of the roof himself. (Didn't really do very good job, I don't think as the shingles look wavey.) When I made a bid on the house, I said I wanted him to hire a professional roofer to do the front, He did and the front looks great! (Guess there are some jobs that should be left to the pros!) Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, I don't know if he used the ice shield or not. When I began to notice the long icicles all around, I became concerned.

Is there anyway of me being "sure" he used an ice shield..?
Oh, I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I do not have any gutters on the house.

Thank again! (I'll try uploading the photo again)

Old 03-21-04, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is there anyway of me being "sure" he used an ice shield..?
You would have to go up and look or call the Guy that did the front for you?

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I do not have any gutters on the house.
If you had you would have the ice in them like everybody else did.

There also are heat cables that you can put up there on the roof. To stop ice dams if you want and run them in the gutter also

ED

Old 03-23-04, 06:55 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sometimes, you can go to a lower rake edge and lift the shingles up a little and look for the Ice & Water Shield. If you have it, you're probably OK. If the ice is hanging from the shingles, you are OK. If it is beind the drip edge or facia board, you have a leak.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: