Sealing around Bilko Door

Old 03-28-04, 06:17 AM
patj735
Visiting Guest
Question Sealing around Bilko Door

I have water leaking in around the top of the bilko door.The material the door is butting up againist is vinyl siding.I know I could put some caulking aroung the door and that would probably stop the water from leaking into the basement but I'm looking for a material that I could use for a long term fix.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

Old 03-28-04, 09:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not sure just what you have there. But on any door or window you should have a drip edge on top. Say like a L that would be up under the Vinyl siding come out and bend down a 1/4" in front. ED

Old 03-31-04, 12:05 PM
patj735
Visiting Guest
Sealing aroung Bilko Door

Thanks Ed.I'm not sure if the trim around the door is a drip edge but I'll have someone check it out for me.My guess is that it is not and that is why I am having the water get through.I'll let you know.Thanks much.

Old 04-04-04, 06:29 AM
patj735
Visiting Guest
Bilko Door leaking

Hi Ed.............I had someone check the vinyl siding around all the windows and doors.You were correct.The contractor used j channel instead of drip edge.We also have leaks around the two sliding doors that he installed.When we told him about the leaks he said he would seal around the doors.Is it too late for him to install the drip edge around the windows and doors?It sounds like he's going to caulk around the doors and to me that seems like a temporary fix.What would you suggest I ask the contractor to do to correct the problem?Thanks.

Old 04-04-04, 08:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have any way or power over him.Id make him fix it right . If you dont you will fight this all the time. Dont let him get by with just caulk. You need a metal drip edge over the doors and windows
Tell him you will call the BBB or have some one come and fix it right and then take him to small claims court.Did he have to get a permit to do the job??? If so call city hall

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: