warranty

Old 04-01-04, 07:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
warranty

I am getting a new roof soon and am shopping around now. My wife had one roofer come out and quote around 5 thousand.
Today Home Depot came out and gave us a quote of 11 thousand.
I like the Home Depot roof a real quality deal. The home Depot guy said I could get the 5 thousand dollar roof but the guy might be out of business in two years. He said they have a tail light warranty and called them tail gate Pete. I think he might be right I don't want a guy that hires day labor and is never seen again.
What do you guys think? I live in a pretty upscale neighbored so it has to be good.
My insurance only gave me 5 thousand for hail damage.
What should I look for in a good roofer?

Old 04-03-04, 03:42 PM
First of all, look at your bids. Are they exactly the same. If so now do you wonder why they are so far apart ? I know why. I would run away real fast from your high bid. Now, just so you know, roofing estimates are done by the square of roofing required, and the steepness of your roof. The brand of shingles will not vary very much from each other anywhere in the country.
Good shingles will be about $40 to $45 a square. Tear off will be about the same, dump costs about the same, gutter metal, & metal trim about the same, roofing felt about the same, nails about the same, now Why the big difference in price. it is profit, and you can figure it out from here. Now what you should do, is drive around to an area of new homes kind of similar or more up scaled then yours, and find some being built and find out who is doing their roofs. These will be good roofers. You did not mention how big your roof was, but can tell you that $5000 can roof a very large area. Also, if your Insurance company gave you $5000, you can bet they already know what your roof should cost, and I can assure you that it is not double what they gave you. Good Luck

Old 04-04-04, 08:13 AM
Run far away from going through Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Sams Club, etc for household work. They hire anyone to do the work and it usually looks it. Last year someone i know paid Sams Club $11k to work on the outside of his house. The job was absolute crap and i wish he said something to me about it before he signed the contract. They were doing the weirdest things installing the siding i ever saw. I was nice enough to correct the guy on some of the installation issues and managed to get him PO'd at me. But he admited this was the first time they every installed siding. They had to borrow the homeowners ladders because they did not have any. They skipped work specified in the contract and were made to pull all the siding off one side of the house to remedy it.

Keep running.... far far away.

Old 04-08-04, 05:09 PM
M
OK then

Ok then we have come up that we wont go for the Home Depot roof and go with a regular roofer for about half the price of covering my 2200 square foot house.My next question is what brand is a good shingle I would like the 50 year because my insurance would go down.(we have lots of hail here in TX).
I only know of one kind that Home Depot uses and that is called GAF.what kind do I need to stay away from? Thanks again.

Old 04-08-04, 06:20 PM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
Michael, remember that the amount your insurance is wanting to deal with you on, could come back and bite you. Just as you said, Hail is a yearly issue in Texas. The next storm you get, they will be throwing the discounted premium in your face, while they deny your claim. You will have spent extra money, on a bigger warranty, that will not bring you the savings. As a roofer I can tell you that your insurance company is your friend, until you file a roofing claim, then it's left up to a subcontracted adjuster to decide your fate. Do yourself a favor and look at a 30yr Elk Raised Profile or the HD 30yr. If you dont mind the money and would like the dimension, take a look at the Timberline Ultra. It has a lifetime warranty. It does not have an impact resistance rating. Beware of Impact Resistant shingles. They are another touted product that insurance companies love to promote. Once again, when hail comes and destroys them, your insurance man will be denying your claim and telling you to call the manufacture. The manufacture will be telling you their shingle is not hail resistant, but impact resistant. It's a long, complicated ordeal. I too am a homeowner. I installed the Elk HD 40 on my personal home. I did it for the improved look not for the 40yr warranty.
Good luck with your selection.

Old 04-10-04, 05:42 AM
M
Makes sense

Texaspaul,
What you say makes sense alright about the insurance company.That is probbably why they push the shingle they even had a display in the office when I went to inquire.I can see like you said a lot of finger pointing once a hail storm hits so I will have to rethink the impact resistant roof and maybe go woth the 30 or 40 year one.
We now have the 30 year one acorrding to the inspector and it had lasted 20.The Elk roof looks nice I checked it out on the web site.
Now my question is if I hire a contractor will they put on whatever brand shingle I choose.
So far my home improvments are going good new A/C was installed yesterday now all that is left is a roof,new fence,new back french door,and a new pool liner.

Old 04-10-04, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just get 3 bids for the same thing you want

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: