New roof questions

Old 04-05-04, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
New roof questions

It's time for us to replace the roof on our raised ranch. We live in snow country, and the roofer is talking about putting 8inches of "ice and snow guard" around the edges of the roof. He explained this is a layer of extra strenght tar paper to prevent ice and storm damage. Do I need this? The shigles apparently go over it.

They plan to use GAF Timberline 30yr shingles. Is this a good brand? There is a 40yr and an ULTRA "lifetime" shingle from GAF Timberline that I was told could double the price. Any thoughts?

PS... The previous owners must have used a cheap shingle, as they claimed it was "new" 8yrs ago when we bought the house. How time flies!

Thanks for your replies!
Old 04-05-04, 07:20 PM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 275
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think your roofer meant 8' of Ice & Water Shield. It comes in 3' rolls and has a 3 1/2 \' sidelap, so 3 courses gives about 8' of coverage. Code minimums are probably 24" inside the warm wall (interior drywall) in your area. If you have a big eave overhang, youuse more Ice & Water Shield to reach this point. Your roofer most likely knows the right amount to use for your house in your area.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: