My mind is in the Gutter

Old 04-16-04, 12:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My mind is in the Gutter

Repair that is.

The previous owner hung seamless gutters, and like the other projects he undertook, botched it up BIG TIME.
He essentially just placed them against the facia and nailed them up.
Didn't bother to, 1) Wedge them under the drip rail. 2) Pitch them so the water would run to the downspouts. There are downs on both ends so I would assume you would need to pitch the gutters down from the center out to the down spouts.

My question is,
How do I remove the gutter spikes with out mangling the daylights out of the gutters.
I'll more than likely be doing this project by myself, so any suggestions on supporting the gutters so when I pull that second from the last spike out the gutter doesn't twist, fold and go crashing like a giant Lawn Dart.

After removing the gutters can I just fill the old holes in the facia with caulk or should I clean them up (with a drill) and Gorilla glue some wood dowel plugs in.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Old 04-17-04, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lot of ifs here How bad do you want to do it .Have you put a level on the fascia board there and see how it falls. I have had homes that the gutter would run off the fascia if I put a pitch to the gutter. So check it out first. .You can cut metal strips and put them up under the drip edge and down over the edge of the gutter . A lot less work.

To take them down. put a few #16 nails under them in the wood just a little, or clamp a 2x under them there on the fascia one or two in the back of the gutter. Take a bolt cutters or saw and cut the spikes and ferrules there in the middle of the gutter then pull out the spikes.

Id just caulk the old holes and any pitch to the gutter is very very slight to the down spouts. Can put it back up like with the holder snap on or the spike screw in they have now.

ED

Old 04-18-04, 09:43 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ed!

I've got everything together, including EMS on stand-by.

Did I mention I'm also allergic to heights?

If you don't hear from me for a while,

Please send donations to:

I told that dumba$$ to hire a professional!
The Widow Pucker Factor
C/O Doanhe Looknatcheral Funeral Home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: