Leaking tiled terrace

Old 04-19-04, 12:47 PM
Maison3
Visiting Guest
Leaking tiled terrace

Hi there. My parents have small holiday condo with a big water ingress problem.

The unit is built against the side of a hill, so there is dampness/water coming in from the outside where the walls meet the ground (a corner of the dining room).

The worst problem though is upstairs, where the roof of the bedrooms and bathroom is actually a terrace, the deck is covered in tiles and there are cracks where moss has grown. There has been a lot of rain this winter (still continuing) and water has infiltrated and caused big greeny-black stains on the ceiling and walls. I think the construction is concrete hollow bricks covered in stucco (it's in Europe).

As my folks have already spent a lot of money on the place and are now too old to use it, it will be put up for sale soon. What is the best way to deal with the roof problem? We have had an estimate to redo the roof and it's way out of proportion to the value of the house. We are going to hire someone local to repair the interior damage and restucco and paint the ceilings and walls, but I thought maybe we could apply some outdoor sealing product to the deck surface. Someone said even clear acrylic paint would help.

Can anyone recommend a sealant that would stick to the outdoor clay tiles? One more thing: this terrace is never used as it is hard to get to, nobody ever walks on it.

Any suggestion welcome, thanks in advance.

Maison3

Old 04-20-04, 05:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way to fix this correctly is to remove the tiles, install a waterproof membrane & replace the tiles.
Jim

Old 04-28-04, 02:35 AM
Maison3
Visiting Guest
Thank you Jim ... not exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I guess we have to wait for really dry weather before doing this work? And what happens to the moisture in the walls after they apply waterproofing?

Thanks again,

Maison3

Old 04-28-04, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Out of the box here . But is there anything going on over there as to mole in a home . Like here you have to get it out or they can come back on you. Black mole is bad bad.
If its that bad Ill bet the wood under it is also bad. Id turn on the AC if you have one there are get a dehumidifier in there right now to help dry it out.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: