Metal Roof

Old 04-19-04, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal Roof

I am wanting to replace my shingles with a metal roof. Started to look at pricing for 1156 square foot house and some companies were estimating around $7000-8000. Found a local man in MS that will do it for much less, but I need to supply the product. Local hardware store has 2 foot V panels? Wondering if that is high quality enough or not? Also wondering about the weight of the roof if we leave the shingles on, if there is any problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 06:58 AM
Go to a local roofing material distributor, not a hardware store. They should have a good stock of various metal panels. Almost all 26ga panels are less than 1lb/sq ft. Most are closer to .5lb/sq ft. You will have to choose between a concealed clip or through fastened style of panel. If you go with the cheaper through fastened panel, you should upgrade your underlayment. The neoprene washers used on the through fastened systems are the weak point in these systems. The panels will have a 20-30 year warranty....the washers will be gone in 5-7 years. Maybe a full coverage underlayment of Ice & Water Shield is appropriate under a through fastened system.
Jim

Old 04-20-04, 06:08 PM
Wink

Id for sure take the shingles off, check the wood and put a 30lb paper down first. like jmorgan1 said go for 26 gage

ED

Old 04-20-04, 11:00 PM
Does this mean I will have to replace the washers in 5-7 years?

Old 04-21-04, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think that's a very real possibility. In our commercial work, we will only use the concealed fastener systems because of the reported problems with the exposed fasteners washers. What I have heard is that they can loosen slightly and that the UV exposure makes them harden and crack.The roofing with concealed fasteners also looks better IMHO.

If you decide to use the exposed fasteners, I wouldn't even consider anything less than Ice & Water Shield over the entire roof. In fact, most of the manufacturer's reps we have worked with recommend it as cheap insurance for any metal roof.

Old 04-22-04, 07:39 PM
I agree w/Bruce. Many times I have found these neoprene washers hardened and embrittled. Sometimes after just 3 or 4 years. Here in the rockies we have intense UV and very cold winters. The panels don't blow off, but water comes in around these washers, especially if ice dammed. The underlayment is what keeps the water out. If you try this, make sure not to overdrive the screws. Drive some practice screws into scrap material and get your drill's clutch set right.
Jim

Old 04-23-04, 11:27 AM
tennessee
Visiting Guest
roof

i have a metal roof, love it, you say washer may need to be replaced? i use the cup shaped washer ,which presses the rubber washer under the inverter metal wash which will protect the rubber washer to help keep it from rotting
i done my roof for $2400.00 took 3 days had 2 friends helping me remove shingles first
go to metal sale wed site for good infro
http://www.metalsales.us.com/