newly installed roof trouble

Old 04-27-04, 05:25 PM
roofgirl
Visiting Guest
newly installed roof trouble

Hi, the roofers just left after completing a tear off, installing asphalt shingles. There are areas on the roof that are not flat, but puckery looking. The boss, who has not seen the work yet, said over the phone, that this is normal and will even out with time. Is this normal for a brand new $5400.00 roof? Also, in the estimate thay said they would use Owens-Corning, and upon looking at the bags on the roof, they say CertainTeed. Help please.

Old 04-27-04, 07:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure what "puckery" is exactly. Sometimes some ripples can be seen is newly installed shingles. This is due to cold shingles / uneven bundles, prior to installation. If they don't "flatten out" in a few days of warm weather, it may be something else. The shingles need to heat up some to get into their final position.
Jim

Old 04-27-04, 08:39 PM
roofgirl
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jim. Let me describe it better. Straight up the front of the roof, (which is lower pitched on a split level house),the shingles appear to be not smooth and flat lying down. There are slight upturns around the middle portion of the shingles running the length of the roof to the top about 2 shingles wide. This occurs in two other places on the roof.

Old 04-28-04, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Im with Jim here see what happen when it warms up . I would call the BOSS and make sure he takes a look at it for now. This can happen some if they dont lay the shingles
in a step lay out. If you saw them when they put them on the next row stuck over and you bend this shingle back and put the other one down under it. This can be why you have that
There are slight upturns around the middle portion of the shingles running the length of the roof to the top about 2 shingles wide.
Ill bet this is where they bent them back put the shingle under it down then put that bent back one down over it.

ED

Old 04-28-04, 06:50 PM
J
Ed,
Guys really shingle without cutting books??? Bending back shingles and sliding others under and into place? This must kill his production. I don't get it.
Learning every day,
Jim

Old 04-28-04, 09:55 PM
I agree with these others.
Let the heat get to the shingles. It should flatten them out.
See if you can get 3 days of 80 degree weather. If that doesn't flatten them out, call the roofer back.
Regarding Owens Corning versus Certainteed...I wouldn't worry about that.
Both are decent shingles.....and in many places, Certainteed is considered better.

Old 05-07-04, 04:16 AM
nad123
Visiting Guest
roofgirl

could you give a brief description of your house: suare footage, single storey, hipped,state etc. i'm trying to look for prices. does anyone else have any prices and details of shingle roofing?

Old 05-07-04, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Didnt have time so had work done.
Remove and replace shingles $135 SQ
for height and pitch $ 20. SQ

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: