Ridge vent in Rochester, NY

Old 05-04-04, 08:49 AM
mlh7
Visiting Guest
Ridge vent in Rochester, NY

We are in the process of deciding on a contractor for a new roof. We currently have box vents and everyone tells us that a ridge vent is better. (We already have perforated soffits.) What I'm wondering is how these will work when we have a foot of snow. (Although this will happen multiple times per winter, the good news is that it doesn't generally stick around too long.)

Are there any other issues we should be aware of before having this done? (We've already decided to go with the tear off, as has been recommended here several times.)

Thanks,
mlh7

Old 05-05-04, 04:29 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I think it was a year ago that I voiced the same concerns with ridge vents. I have watched the ridge vents on my 3 season porch get covered with snow and stay that way all winter. The area I live in is fairly protected, so snow does not blow off.

I asked the question because I was re-siding my house and had the opportunity to install larger louvers on the gable ends. Didn't get much positive feedback, so I opted to size the louvers to provide all the ventilation without the use of ridge vents. My personal opinion is that you use ridge vents only if there are no other options. I would think you would have the same concerns with the ventilators that sit low in the field of the roof.

Bruce

Old 05-05-04, 05:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is a "box vent"?
Jim

Old 05-06-04, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You went the right way for sure. Bruce I dont like ridge vents and dont use them at all. Id still put a gabel vent fan on one end of the home that works off a tstat there in the attic.

mlh7 If the snow is that bad Id put up a cupola right in the center of the home on the ridge . With a attic vent fan in it.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: