Where can I find info/ installing EPDM?

Old 03-20-04, 05:02 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest

I have a very low slope ( near flat) roof that I must replace. I wish to build a deck on it.

The old roofing is in poor shape and looks like two or three layers may be on it. It's not a huge roof about 180 square feet.

I was told to think about a EPDM system and I found a supplier but they didn't have much info on how to install it. Where can I find out more info?

Old 03-21-04, 02:03 PM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
Try Mule Hide in a search engine. They are owned by ABC Supply Co. Our company has installed a major amount of EPDM in the past 6 to 7 years. We have found it performs well under decks and lightweight cement. I could walk you through some of the questions you might run into if you cant find installation instructions.

Old 03-22-04, 12:39 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
If you could walk me through some of the steps then I can do some more research. Been looking for installation info for some time.

I may need to put some insulation on the roof. I talked to one roofer who said not to remove the old layers of roofing because then I loose insulation value.

How do I attach the membrane to the existing decking? I don't think a ballasted system is right for me. I see you can glue it down. Should I put down some OSB first to make for a nice surface for the glue?

If I screw through the membrane then it would leak. How to I attach the framing for my new deck once the roof is on?

Old 03-22-04, 12:41 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Also the flashing is the biggest concern I have. How do I attach the flashing to the membrane?

Old 03-22-04, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go to http://www.mobilehomerepair.com They have a whole section on it. They do alot of it for MH's and houses. Mark is very good. He also has a book that goes through it step by step. Good Luck

Old 03-23-04, 09:42 AM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
I'll do my best . On removing the old material. Yes, I would tear it all down to the original substrate. You want to make sure that you have a clean deck for install. If you are going to do it right, make it the last time you have to do it. Two sizes, 045 and 060. You will be fine with the 045, but check to see if they have a cut off of 060 that they might be willing to sell you at a good price. On the insulation question. I their is a reason for insulation, your best bet is to install from underneath. You can put some sort of ISO board down, but I do not advise or like adhering EPDM to them. The maximum resistance factor you will get from an insulation board is going to be about 4 for 3/4 ". If you put an ISO board down, then install an OSB over it. You are correct. It makes for a really smooth install. Your adhesion method for horizontal surfaces is to use, what we call the white glue. It is a waterbased adhesive. DO NOT let them sell you yellow glue for the field adhesion. Next, your flashings. Your flashings, walls, vents etc, install after your membrane is down. (one quick tip, unroll the membrane and let it sit for a while before glueing.) For this you will need cured flashing tape, tape primer and cleaner(acetone).
Place flashing down in place, clean it, prime it and apply flashing tape on top of the flashing and on to the EPDM. One more tip, caulk with a Geocel or equivalent caulk all along the area where you install the flashing tape. We normally take and install a cant-strip against the wall and run the EPDM up the wall on paraput situations, then finish it with a termination strip. We place water-cut-off behind it. (yellow glue for vertical surfaces).
Deck install: my suggestion is to run your screeds on top of the EPDM, placing some of the flashing tape between the screed and the rubber. Build the deck so that the Face area attaches to the deck and you dont have anything penetrating the rubber. In other words, the deck will be free floating on the EPDM only attached at the wall and to the front of the drip line. Confused?
I don't know if that will work for you, but think about it.
Ok, let me know if I have you totally confused yet.

Old 03-23-04, 04:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All of the EPDM Mfr's have web pages with installation instructions. Firestone, Goodyear, Carlisle are some. Type EPDM Roofing into Google and you'll get them. All above is OK. There are lots of mechanically fastened systems. They use battens, button disks, etc to secure the roof. I agree with Mark, the old glue down with substrate adhesive (yellow glue) is no fun to do. The Mfr's will discuss all types of insulation boards on their pages.
Jim

Old 03-25-04, 11:24 AM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the posts. I will ponder what has been posted and look up the manufacturers pages.

Old 05-31-04, 02:51 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Hi, me again. Getting ready to do the roof shortly now that it is getting warmer.

First thing is I have some quick questions.

What does ISO stand for, what are screeds, what's a cant-strip?

Is this white glue a contact cement? You know, the let dry first then stick together, hope you don't have to pull it up type?

Old 06-05-04, 10:15 AM
towarmaster
Visiting Guest

If you need step by step guide on how to install your EPDM roof, please do not hesitate to contact the following:

www.rubberfix.co.uk

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: