Flat roof rubber roofing coming loose.

Old 05-05-04, 10:11 PM
steve340
Visiting Guest

I have a spare bedroom that has an almost flat roof. The top layer of roofing looks like a big piece of thick rubber . The problem is the wind blew it back away from the roof. It is not secured so the wind gets up under it. It looks like it is still in good condition but just needs to be held down. What is the best way to keep it from coming loose? Nails, screws, tar, glue?

My maintenance guy is thinking of just nailing it but I'm worried that it will cause a leak from the holes and the low spot around the nail heads. It may also rip from the nail head since it is soft rubber and could tear easily.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't nail it! Use yellow, substrate adhesive for EPDM Roofing. Fold it back, apply the glue to the underside of the rubber and to the roof deck. Wait for it to dry. Push the rubber back into place and roll with a roller.
Jim

Old 06-05-04, 10:49 AM
towarmaster
Visiting Guest

The membrane needs to be secured in one of the following two methods depending upon the original installation; I suspect that it was originally was a fully bonded system, so in this case, you must apply bonding adhesive between the substrate and the rubber membrane. The membrane then must overhang the roof by at least 50 mm so you can stick it to the upstand and down on the facia. All flat roofs are slightly pitched, so the guttering is located on decline. Usually, there is a rubber EPDM drip apron that fits into the gutter and is sealed onto the roof with bonding adhesive. The rubber membrane is then stuck to the rubber apron with seaming adhesive. The other method is a ballasted roof which is laid on geotextile underlay, stuck onto the facia with bonding adhesive and secured in place with ballast (pebbles). In both cases, an edge trim must be fitted to secure against wind uplift and advisably, the adhesives must be purchased from an EPDM distributor

For further advise see www.rubberfix.co.uk
email [email protected]

Last edited by towarmaster; 06-05-04 at 11:04 AM.