Cleaning green mold/algae from roof

Old 05-08-04, 06:20 PM
cnr
Visiting Guest
Cleaning green mold/algae from roof

On the north side of my 4 yr old asphalt shingle roof there is some green 'stuff' under the overhang of the 2nd floor roof. Obviously this roof section stays wetter and never gets direct sun. Living in NY, I'm not sure if this is mold or algae.

In either case, how can this be cleaned? It cant be scrubbed without damaging the shingles.

Thanks for any ideas...

CJ

Old 05-15-04, 07:38 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
algae/mold

Had the same problem last year. I mixed up about 50/50 Clorox/water and put it in a pesticide sprayer and started spraying the affected areas. It killed the offending green stuff, but I had to scrape off the dead material with a drywall knife after it was dead. It looks great now. I sprayed it a couple of times before the green turned to black and brown, but it will work. Make sure you wear old clothes because the bleach spray will hit it and you will have spots all over you! Good luck!

Old 05-18-04, 01:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

We have it here all the time Get a ortho spray that goes on the end of your water hose. Set it for 8oz get pool chlorine thats 10% where the clorox is only 5% or 6%. Just go at it. Work all the time . If it runs down on flowers hose them off with clear water when your done .

ED

Old 05-27-04, 06:30 PM
TJ in IL
Visiting Guest
Prevention

In order to prevent this from happening in the future, you can install a zink strip along the ridge, just under the cap shingles. The zink residue in combination with the rain will prevent the algae from comming back. The zink strip can be found at any home center or building supply house.

Old 05-28-04, 09:54 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The trouble with the zinc strip,(copper or galvinized will work as well) is putting it on an existing roof.By the time you have moss growing up there or find it,you are probaly close to needing to replace the shingles.

Old 08-27-04, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I guess thats my next project...'coz we're having the same problem on our roof...even with a galvinized strip..
Also accures on the peak edge of roof...and the drip is noisy when it hits the balcony deck below..outside our bedroom....BLAH!!
Edit:
Does the bleach teatment bleach the roof???

Old 08-27-04, 01:31 PM
Wink

Does the bleach teatment bleach the roof???
NO

ED

Old 08-28-04, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
NO

ED
Tyvm

Old 08-28-04, 12:46 PM
Wink

Put A short piece of gutter there over the bedroom or on the roof under the bottom shingle stop the noise

ED

Old 08-29-04, 08:04 AM
I was up on the roof yesterday and cleaned off the moss and algae, mostly moss, along the edge of the shingles and roof line. /\ 5/12 pitch, I believe. Not alot of moss...but enough for it to drip.
I found it odd that moss would grown there as that side of the roof gets a fair bit of sun...pretty well facing West. I guess it could develope because of my neighbors tree...but thats on the side of the house 1/2 way towards the back...?!?! Who knows!!
There is a good overhang of shingles, about 3/4"....
I presume its not 'normal' to have gutters on the face of a pitched roof, but that may be the route Ill have to go....
Right now, the facia boards are painted, but I want to cover them in vinyl facia 'caps' so I dont have to paint there anymore and avoid more work down line. - If I can find that in black...2x6's.
Thanks for the idea...........
Thomas

Old 08-29-04, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by sider68
The trouble with the zinc strip,(copper or galvinized will work as well) is putting it on an existing roof.By the time you have moss growing up there or find it,you are probaly close to needing to replace the shingles.
Guess that depends on how bad it is.
I installed a zinc strip after the roof was in, at the ridge and wasnt too difficult. Only a couple of roofing nails then caulked them and its ok.
Did the bleach treatment today... see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: