water problems

Old 05-21-04, 06:57 PM
William521
Visiting Guest
water problems

I have windows in the upstairs of my home that continue too get ice on them during the winter months, then melts and then causes the laminate flooring to warp some. I also continue to get water spots on my ceiling. I live in north dakota where it is naturally a very cold part of the usa and was hoping if somebody knew of anyway to fix this problem. Other variables in this equation that might help you to solve it are that the ceiling wall does have a vapor barrior installed in it, the attic isn't very well vented(it is a gabled roof and only has one vent on each of the side of the gabled roof), there are no soffit vents, and we also do use alot of water in the home. In my best guess I think that the damp spots on the ceiling are caused by ice damning and the water spots are caused by excessive water use in the home and also lack of ventilation in the house/attic. I think that both problems can be cut down by alot by just installing an attic fan. Any other recommendations or do you think the attic fan won't help too much. thanks

Old 05-21-04, 08:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like maybe two problems.
If it is an ice dam, you have 2 choices 1) remove the ice dam or install heat cables 2) re-roof the area and add Ice & Water Shield.
If your windows are old (single pane, etc) you may be able to remove the frost by installing more thermally efficient windows. My old single pane windows frosted all winter here in Park City. New double pane ones never have condensation on them.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: