Still leaking!

Old 05-24-04, 08:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Still leaking!

I put in new vinyl windows about 2 years ago. The roof had been replaced about 5 years ago (we owned the house 2 years now but my wifes father owned it previously.) One wall of the house gets most of the wind and when it rains it comes in on the upper floor (into the window sill and leak out under the molding on the wall. The on the 1st floor, the water comes out of the top of the window and down inside the room too. Fricken drives me nuts. I should be sleeping now but its leaking! SO. When we had the siding done last month I replaced some damaged fascia board above the upstairs window and covered spots with galvanized flashing and caulking. The flashing was installed under the roof and drip edge and covered any "suspect" wood. THEN, our siding guy covered all the trim, fascia, etc with aluminum trim cover and also began it under the roof and drip edge. Its fricken sealed up. I thought the water was coming in there. ALSO, these are brand new seamless gutters.

Now the window design is a bit odd. (not that I see tons of window setups). The window unit (swing in vinyl 6 over 1) comes with the screen windows but NO storms. I kept the old exterior mounted aluminum storms and screens too. I think maybe the storms (exterior) and new vinyl windows (interior mounted) do not mate well. So when the big rains hit and hit that wall (probably with wind help), it somehow pools into the space between the storms and the windows and then comes in.

Any thoughts? This problem has bothered me on and off for a LONG time and I have tried lots of stuff on the fascia level but now think it may be the windows. HELP!

Old 05-27-04, 04:54 AM
J
When you installed the new windows, did you use the 9" flashing required by the manufacturer? Did you use a "sticky" flashing or non-sticky? If non-sticky, did you use the required sealant behind the flashing material? Does this flashing lap and shed water properly. Is it properly integrated with the weather resistive barrier? Almost all leaking windows are due to improper installation of flashing material.
Jim

Old 05-27-04, 05:03 AM
S
The units installed from inside the house. Not new construction form windows. I did not do anything to the outside screw-on aluminum storm systems. Not sure what type of flashing would be needed when installing this type of window. I did caulk around the casing of the unit for air leakage reduction. And I used a high grade caulk.

Old 05-27-04, 06:13 AM
J
If you used block replacement windows, probably the original exterior flashing/WRB has problems. You new windows are most likely well sealed to the RO Framing, as you have filled the gaps with sealant. This will keep the actual window from leaking but does nothing for flaws in the installation of the weather resistive barrier where it meets the window. If you have trim boards or pieces at the windows, maybe you can remove these to see how the WRB is detailed to the exterior of the window. I'll bet your siding is leaking, not the new windows.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: