garage roof tin conversion

Old 05-31-04, 02:24 AM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
garage roof tin conversion

I have a 30'X30' garage. the exterior walls (2"X4") are 10' in height. I have to repair/tear off the old roof completely (shingles and plywood where it is still intact.) I wanted to go with a tin roof in 4'X16' sheets instead of putting down all new plywood and shingles. Will there be a problem with this? I know I would need to put 2"x6"s across my trusses to apply the tin. My main concern is the trusses themselves what kind of spacing do i need to support a tin roof? I have to remove some and repurchase new ones do to the fact some are severly rotted. I'm mostly looking for s pacing estimate for the trusses with tin roofing. It is well guarded by pine trees so the wind isnt much of a factor. I'd think a single sheet of tin is alot lighter than the plywood and shingles that would be needed to take its place. Im hoping to save some money and time as well as maintenance on the garage itself. Thanks!!

Old 05-31-04, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can nail 1X4s across the roof trusses on 2' centers to screw the metal roofing onto. You don't need 2X lumber.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-04, 06:49 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Like Mike said, though you,ll have to worry about condensation if you ever start heating inside.

Old 06-01-04, 12:20 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. That will be an issue for me as during the winter i have a barrel stove installed for wood heat, as Ill probably need it for working on vehicles during the wisconsin winter. Is there any precautions I should take or need to know about the condensation issues? Thanks again.

Old 06-02-04, 07:16 AM
S
If you insulate the ceiling that would look after it.Check with the people you are buying the steel from and see what they say.We had an uninsulated building at work that we decided years later to heat.We were using the ceiling for storage and ended up isulating between the rafters like a cathederal ceiling.Ended up not as efficient and costly labourwise to get done

Old 06-02-04, 07:19 AM
S
Also what type of tin roofing?I assumed you are using galvinized.I don,t know how well painted will hold up against the sap from the pine trees.

Old 06-04-04, 11:56 AM
Wink

You could check on the roll insulation that they use on steel buildings and put it down first then the sheet metal roof if you look it has a Poly V/b on it already.

ED

Old 06-04-04, 01:04 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice!! I really appreciate it. One thing I was going to mention and I didnt know how this would affect things is that I was going to insulate with rolled insulation in the lower part of the trusses, not sure what exactly those beams are called but it effectively is the flat down part of the truss. I was thinking of insulating there with rolled and then nailing on a insulation board foil faced underneath it with plywood covering, so it cuts down my area to heat to a 8' x 30'x30' instead of heating the attic area as well.

Old 06-04-04, 01:16 PM
Wink

For out there in the garage the way you are talking there is a R 25 and a R 30 insulation Faced. Put this to the room side .Then just put a 5/8" drywall up there for the ceiling. you dont need the insulation board or plywood. Save the $$$$

ED

Old 06-04-04, 09:13 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Thanks, will that insulation solve the condensation problem?

Old 06-05-04, 04:42 PM
Wink

Yes it will Id still put a 4 mil poly on after the insulation is up there then the drywall. dont forget you still want to vent that attic space real good. 1 sq ft of vent for every 150 sq ft of attic 1/2 in and 1/2 out.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: