Shake roof replacement

Old 06-04-04, 10:16 AM
jmell44
Visiting Guest
Shake roof replacement

My home owner's insurance is ending in September unless I replace my 45 year old shake roof. Unfortunately, I don't have alot of money and would like to do it myself with the help of some friends. High dimensional asphalt was my first choice but the price of OSB has gone from $6 a sheet to $18 dollars a sheet here in So. California. Are there any other options out there that could be cheaper? I was thinking of metal panel roofing. Would these require the sheathing or would the spaced 1x6's be sufficient? Anything else that might not require the OSB?
Thanks, Jeff

Old 06-04-04, 11:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id check for code there where you are first. But yes you can put a metal roof on just 1X6. That woould be like on a barn "Check code "

ED

Old 06-06-04, 04:55 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is also the option of some other "stiff" roofing system. Slate, imitation slate, metal shingles, etc.
Jim

Old 06-07-04, 11:51 AM
jmell44
Visiting Guest
Do you think it might be cheaper to fill in the spaces between the 1x6's with more 1x6's?

Old 06-07-04, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

For what? Labor and time would get you that way. Did you check code there to just put a metal roof on there? Are what kind do you want to put on?

ED

Old 06-07-04, 07:59 PM
jmell44
Visiting Guest
No, I haven't checked the code yet, I was simply exploring other options that possibly wouldn't require the OSB since it is so pricey at this time. I'm open to any material that would resemble asphalt, shake, tile, I really don't care as long as it's not like corrugated panels.
Jeff

Old 06-15-04, 06:15 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
It's not really feasable to fill in the spaces because there are going to be a ton of uneven gaps. None of the boards are installed 100% square, even 80% square. Nailing will be very very difficult. If I was the roofer I'd just sheet over the spaced decking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: