soft spots on roof - fix or ignore?

Old 06-05-04, 06:04 AM
jdholc
Visiting Guest
soft spots on roof - fix or ignore?

The home i just bought had a new roof put on it 5 yrs ago. When i was in the process of the buying the home, the inspector said it was a great roof. I was just walking on the roof and I came across about 6 very soft spots.

Should I (1) be proactive and have someone come out here and rip the shingles off to replace the wood underneath
(2) or do I add more ventilation in the attic
(3) or do i just ignore?

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-05-04, 01:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would go check the structure from in the attic. Could be a few things, bad plywood, bad framing, etc. If it was noticable walking on the roof, i would be sure to check into it.

Old 06-06-04, 07:30 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellrazor
I would go check the structure from in the attic. Could be a few things, bad plywood, bad framing, etc. If it was noticable walking on the roof, i would be sure to check into it.
I'm with Hellrazor. Soft spots don't go away, they get worst. Get into the attic and look at the underside of those soft spots. Unless you have truly horrendous ventilation problems, rot is probably not the cause.

Old 06-06-04, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

For sure Id fix it now. But also find out why are what did it. Not enough vents up there or leaks.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: