Would like ot go Gutterless

Old 06-19-04, 03:28 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Would like ot go Gutterless

I'm not too sure if this is possible. And if it is, I don't know the terminology!

I live in lower Michigan (Ann Arbor, near Detroit), on top of a hill (the land in front and on one side of our house slopes downward). The ground is mostly clay.

Our 4" gutters have lasted 24 years! These are those vinyl things that piece together. They are just now leaking and falling apart.

The roof is a 45 degree pitch. It hangs over the side of the house by a few inches. My brother told my dad we should get 6" gutters, as the 4" have always overflown under heavy rains.

So, is there some method of going gutterless? Something along the lines of digging the ground up alongside the house, putting sheeting or drainage pipe, metal edging, then putting crushed gravel in? One side of the house is 50 feet long. Someone ditched a drainage pipe from the gutter to a "field" 20 feet away from the house, I could potentially hook into there.

Is this something I could do? I can get family members to help dig

Thanks!

John

Old 06-19-04, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

For over the years Id say I have tried it all with out gutters . Ill say dont try it or do it .You do need gutters on a home for sure. You dont say how big the roof is but a 4" gutter is just for a small like porch. In all homes we use a 5".If you have a big roof put 2 are 3 dounspouts in it .A 6" gutter is more like for stores churchs with a 4" down spout.

ED

Old 06-19-04, 06:24 PM
Going gutterless would probably be fine in the summer. But in the winter with the ground froze and a good rain... you would be in deep trouble. I dislike them as much as the next person, but they are needed.

Old 06-21-04, 11:33 AM
S
Plus new gutters are cheaper than all that other work you were disc ribing

Old 06-21-04, 11:48 AM
U
Oops! Our house is 20 years old, not 24...

Based on your comments, we are planning to put new gutters up, 6". Problem is, our roof (25 year shingles, 20 year old roof) is almost dead. We had a contractor come over - he said the roof was fine, but it needed a ridge vent. We do not have soffit vents, nor do we have a ridge vent. We haven't done anything to it. It doesn't leak. We don't want to put new gutters up before replacing the shingles. But we don't want to touch the roof till it has to be repaired - which is why I wondered if the ground method would be possible.

Although I feel it would be roughly the same price:

$100.00 - 150' perforated corrugated tubing with mesh net
free - digging
$200.00 - crushed gravel. Would need to get a real quote.

Only one side would get this, the other side might end up with a screened in porch, which would divert the rain from that side of the house. The amount of gutter would amount to 10-20 feet.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: