roof shingles don't match

Old 06-22-04, 05:15 AM
zturbo
Visiting Guest
roof shingles don't match

I bought and moved in a new house in July, 2003 and I figure the roof was put on sometime in early 2003. The problem I have is the shingles in some spots don't exactly match the majority of the shingles. I sure the shingles were all labeled the same color but I think there were 3-4 batches that didn't exactly match. You can notice these shingles not matching the farther you get from the house (50'). I noticed this about a month after I moved in and I thought that after a while of being in the weather they woulf blend in together. That have not and my 1 year warranty will expire in July,2004.Do I have a case here with the builder since it is a brand new house. Please advise on what actions I have here with the builder. Thanks

Old 06-22-04, 08:06 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Shingle don't match

A warranty is as good as the person or company that stands behind it. Some shingle manufacturers have color match guarantees with instructions on the shingles not to install if it does not match. You need to talk with your builder.

Old 06-22-04, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said you could try the builder but ????? who knows

If you look on the paper that the shingles came in it will say just like floor tile and wall tile all the same color.
Be sure and mix the boxes up when you lay them. It is the same thing for the roof shingles. A good roofer will break up all the bundels and mix the shingles as he goes.

ED

Old 06-22-04, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Call the builder.
I may or may not get him to fix it.
He should. At least he should go to the manufacturer to begin a claim.

If not, you may have to contact the shingle manufacturer yourself.
Sometimes they have granule-drop defects.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-05, 11:31 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When roofing with asphalt shingles, one is told by the manufacturer to never mix shingles with different "batch" numbers. Although they make every attempt to produce shingles in the most scientific orderly way, including the same amount of different colored ceramic granules applied in the same random-pattered way, there evidently can be some deviation if mixing batches. That said.........it's not uncommon to find shingles within the same batch which, in effect has had the granules "misapplied", causing a different color blend to the eye. Another problem that occurs is when the asphalt used has somehow "risen to the surface" of the shingle during the manufacturing process, thereby creating a different color to the eye.
Either way, the roofer hopefully keeps an eye out for this and will set aside any shingles that "look different"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: