Gutter downspout from 2nd story to 1st story question

Old 06-22-04, 12:46 PM
bmilam
Visiting Guest
Gutter downspout from 2nd story to 1st story question

The house has wide eaves which may be hard to tell in this picture. Anyways, the 2nd story gutter downspout is just routed to spill out on the 1st story roof. This has eroded the roof in this area and softened up the decking under it.
What would be the best way to reroute this gutter so that it does not spill onto the roof below it? Would changing it so that it runs down the fireplace to the right or just run an extension from the downspout opening into the 1st story gutter.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
Brandon

http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com/.../cIMG_3495.JPG

Old 06-22-04, 05:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Its in what you think looks good. Now I would let it there where it is. Dont move it over to the chimney I would run it in down spout pipe and an L down into the gutter cut the L off so it dont stick way down in the gutter. Paint it the color of the roof Now we did for a time make like a big V pan copper or sheet metal. About 1" deep all around. Then at the bottom of the big end in the side of it put like 1/4" holes every 1". The little end of the V would go under the down spout L and down on the roof. This way it would spread the water out.
If you get what I mean

ED

Old 06-23-04, 07:53 AM
bmilam
Visiting Guest
Thank's muchly Ed, I didn't know if it was ok to run it on the roof like that or not, and just couldn't find an example of this situation anywhere.. After I get that section of roof replaced, that's what I'll do.

Ed Imeduc
-------------------------------------
Its in what you think looks good. Now I would let it there where it is. Dont move it over to the chimney I would run it in down spout pipe and an L down into the gutter cut the L off so it dont stick way down in the gutter.

Old 06-23-04, 08:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just slip the spout on to the L at the wall and put one screw in the L at the gutter to hold it. No nail in the roof at all.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: