How to avoid freezing in outdoor pipe?

Old 06-25-04, 07:59 AM
tbartman
Visiting Guest
Question How to avoid freezing in outdoor pipe?

I currently have a sump pump that empties through a 2" PVC pipe that is buried about 6" underground. The pipe has a huge slope (drops about 3' over a 12' run), but the problem is it empties onto my neighbor's driveway. I've never had problems with freezing in winter, but my neighbor is tired of the end of his driveway being under water year-round.

I'm thinking of digging a trench down that same hill, but diagonally running to the back corner of my lot, so the water dumps into the woods. I would lay 4" corrugated pipe, and put the end of the 2" PVC about a foot ot so into it. My concern is that a) this is a much longer run - about 50 feet, and b) the slope will be less (now about 2' over the 50'). Is there a chance that as the pump dumps water into this pipe it'll plug up with ice and prevent the pump from draining? Do I have to lay the 4" pipe below the frost line? I don't even know how deep that is in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was hoping to lay the pipe about 8" or so underground, but if you think I'll have a freezing problem, I'll have to reconsider (or maybe with that slope I'm o.k.).

Any advice would help.

Tom

tvbartman@hotmail.com

Old 06-25-04, 09:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You dont say where you are at, but 6" is not all that deep to protect against freezing depending on where you are at. Here in PA water lines are buried atleast 32-36" deep

Old 06-25-04, 10:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You know as long as its not a water line and so you dont have to do all that digging. Id say go with the pipe put inside a 4" and let it run down to where you want. BUT why not just lay a Chromalox thermwire Melt or the chromalox Safe-T Melt wire along with the 4 " pipe. if it does ice up inside it just turn the heat wire on for a time dont have to be on all the time. Sav e a lot of work .

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: