Sixty feet to the down spout

Old 07-01-04, 06:39 PM
jumper1
Visiting Guest
Sixty feet to the down spout

I have eliminated one downspout and now have 60 to 70 feet to travel to the remaining down spout. Using about 1 inch rise for every 20 feet and with the bottom of the gutter at the down spout even with the lower edge of the fascia board the 5 inch aluminum gutter is distorting the drip line so that the shingles do not drain well into the gutter at the far distance from the down spout. Is there a way to trim the back side of the gutter to allow the drip edge to have a normal fall into the gutter?

Old 07-02-04, 06:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What size gutter do you have and more importantly what size downpipe?You don,t want to trim any of the back of the gutter.It is designed so that watere runs over the face before it could run back in towards the fascia.
Sometimes you can run your fingers behind the drip edge pulling it out sso the water goes into the trough.Your only other choice would be to slide a piece of metal under the drip edge and into the back of the gutter.

Old 07-02-04, 08:03 AM
jumper1
Visiting Guest
5 inch gutter and 5 inch down pipe. How much of a grade is recommended for roof guttering? Is 1 inch for each 20 feet of gutter length about right? Thank you for the information about not trimming the back of the gutter.

Old 07-02-04, 08:08 AM
S
1/4 inch fall in 10 feet is what is recommended.I assume you have a 3 by 4 downpipe not a 2 x 3,which would definitely be too small.

Old 07-04-04, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On 60' to 70' of 5" gutter I d say hang it dead level and keep a 3"down spout on each end. Too just one spout not over a 1/8" per 12'. I have had homes that the gutter would go off the fascia board if I ran them at 1/4" on 12.If the back of the gutter does come out from under the drip edge. Cut some metal strips and slip up under the drip edge and over the gutters back edge.

ED

Old 07-05-04, 09:58 AM
S
I just tryied lowering mine ,about a 50 foot run an 1 1/2 inches to get water to drain to other side.It mostly does except for some water that sits in the middle.I thought making that dramatic of a drop that the water would of just gushed to the other side.

Old 07-05-04, 10:50 AM
Check the home for level. As I said I have had homes that the gutter came down off the fascia board for the water to run out. Had a home one time they had to have the spout on the high end of the home . We cut the whole back out of the gutter to get it up high to start. So the water would run to the other end and the gutter would still
be on the fascia board

ED

Old 07-05-04, 11:01 AM
S
I should know better.I have 2 4foot levels and do you think I could find either?No.I just figured I could lower it and get it over to the other side.I,m trying to keep the water away from my basement.Yesterday we were going to have a storm so figured it would be a good test.

Old 07-05-04, 12:40 PM
Thumbs up

Lets just say way way back. When I first started in a tin shop. We would start at the high end and put a small amount of water in the gutter and tap the gutter down so the water would just move a little bit down the gutter as we would nail it up with a nail shoot.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: