Attaching patio cover to roof

Old 07-09-04, 10:16 AM
dcoffin
Visiting Guest
Question Attaching patio cover to roof

I am interested in building a slatted patio covering (pergola) that will attach to the roof of our single-story house. I am not concerned about building the structure itself, but have not done any roof work. My concern is a leaky roof if it's not done properly.

I would like to know a couple of things.

1. Is this a do-it-yourself job for someone who has never done any roofing work?
2. If so, where can I get additional information on how to do it properly?

Alternatively I thought about hiring someone to come and attach the structural components to the roof and then I can build the rest of the structure.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Thanks,
David

Old 07-10-04, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say just what pitch you will have there or if any valley. You can just slip a metal flashing up under the shingles and over the ones on the new roof . If I have this right . Or can you hang it under the over hang of the home now

ED

Old 07-12-04, 06:08 AM
dcoffin
Visiting Guest
Attaching patio covr to roof

The pitch is 3/12 and there is no valley. The patio cover will not be roofed; it will be a series of slats placed approximatly 1 foot apart with a vine growing through. These slats will be attached to a ledger board that is attached to the roof. This structure will need to be attached to the roof since the soffit is just under 7' from the ground. I assume that I would attach blocks to the roof over each rafter and attach the ledger board. I obviously want to make these attachments weatherproof.

In my research this weekend, I found a picture of a pre-manufactured metal saddle that could be used in place of the blocks, but I only found this mentioned in one book, and after an extensive Internet search was unable to find such an animal.

I will use flashing if I use the blocks. Do you have any suggestions on where to get information on doing this right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: