backwards shingles

Old 07-09-04, 04:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
backwards shingles

My neighbor installed his shingles on his porch roof with the tabs up so that the 3 tabs are covered by each next course. He insists that this is the way he has always done it. Im not a builder by trade but is this possible?

Old 07-09-04, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Show him the paper thats on the shingles
Now the first coarse at the drip edge you do but then you cover them with a full shingle.

ED

Old 07-09-04, 06:55 PM
Anything's possible...but that doesn't mean it's correct.
Actually, it should still shed water, but if I'm understanding you correctly, it is not correct.

The thing I would be concerned with is the appearance.
Manufacturers always use the proper granules on the tab portion of the shingle (the face), but they often use any granule that they have available for the top portion that goes under the course above. (Since is doesn't show)

I can't imagine that he would have the same color all over his roof if he put them on upside down.

Old 07-12-04, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ktm250rider
My neighbor installed his shingles on his porch roof with the tabs up so that the 3 tabs are covered by each next course. He insists that this is the way he has always done it. Im not a builder by trade but is this possible?
Any chance you can get a close up pic with a digital camera? This is too amusing to waste...

I will second Ed's and raise him a

And here i thought i saw or heard everything...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: