Need some re roofing advice...

Old 07-14-04, 10:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some re roofing advice...

Hello all. I could use some sound advice for my situation from you experinced roofers out there.

I live in the St. Louis, Mo area and I've got an aging shingle problem, but only on one side of the house. I realize that it's best to re roof the whole house, but wondering if there are any options when cash flow doesn't allow me to pay to have shingles replaced. The shingles on the west side of my house are starting to crack exposing the top half of the shingle underneath. The shingles on the other side of the house look as if they have years of life left in them. I can't afford to pay a contractor to re shingle, so I'll enlist some buddies to do the tear off qand reshingle, but I'm wondering if I can do one side of the house before winter, and do the other side a year from now. This is the only way I think we can afford to do it, and looking for some advice. (The house has a very simple roof, two sides only, one single roof peak that runs the length of the house).

Also I'm looking for some answers to a few questions. Will I need to rent a dumpster to dispose of the old shingles? I'll have to give myself a long weekend to tear off and reshingle, what do I do if it rains while the old roof is torn off??

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Visser

Old 07-15-04, 06:29 AM
I would say that sounds like a doable project, but not ideal. I assume you plan to stop at the ridge with the new shingles. One word of caution - since your roof is at the end of its life, you should try to avoid walking upon the opposite side because the old shingles will be very brittle and break up easily. The dumptster rental and dumping will certainly be the easiest method of tear-off removal, but it will probably be a fairly good sized expense. Why not consider just tossing the old material to the ground and make several trips to the dump in your pick-up. With the money saved you might be able to purchase enough shingles to do the opposite side of the house at the same time.

Old 07-15-04, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to haul the old shingles away myself, but didn't realize I had that option without paying a fee to "dump" them. So I was curious if there would be a cost to do that vs. a cost to rent a dumpster. I also thought I might be "required" by city code to dispose of shingles by paying to have them hauled off. Under this consideration, I can certainly afford to do the whole roof properly.

What about rain? naturally I would attempt the removal process without a dry outlook for a few days, but what do people do if they get the unexpected rain shower? Tarp over the bare roof and weight it down?? I know this seems obvious, but I've never reroofed and had ill weather.

Thanks,

Visser

Old 07-16-04, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Red face

Good old St louis my old home town. For sure call city hall and find out what code they have there now for roofs.As for rain . Id check inside the attic and see if you need any new wood there and make sure you have it there to put on.After the shingles all off and any wood is fixed roll out the 15 lb paper on it and your in the dry as they say. Dont know if you have to have code check it then or not up there. Down here you do,before you can put the shingles on. Also check on that fee dunp here you have to pay when you haul them in

ED

Old 07-16-04, 10:03 PM
Thanks Ed!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: