replace stucco - roof line flashing new roof?

Old 07-15-04, 03:07 PM
shatfield
Visiting Guest
replace stucco - roof line flashing new roof?

We have estimates for replacing our shake roof with composition. One of the differences is that some say they will replace all flashing, but that the places where they need to cut up the stucco 4 inches will look different. One local roofer recommended as "our guy" by a contractor living on our block, and in the business 25 years, says that he just replaces all flashing because he's never sure that a nail won't go through old flashing and cause a leak and he's not up there to check out the flashing since he's gotten older, and it just should be a complete job. But then he says he's not a real stucco person, so it won't look the same. Another roofer, who is cheaper, did a house one away, built at the same time by the same builder (1940) and he says that he was able to use a lot of the flashing, because it was in good shape and the main thing was it had room to put shingles underneath (I think that's right). We live in the SF Bay Area, so no snow and ice. I'm not sure what to do, and I don't really want to get up on our two story house to check flashing condition, even if I knew what to look for. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You have to see it to say for sure just what to do and how.
Yes I would reflash it for sure. We would put new metal step shingles under the new shingles on the roof next to the wall or what. Then put a cut in the stucco about 1"above the step shingles in line with the roof .Then put a say 6" wide metal with a 1/2"90L on it into that cut and over the top of the step shingle dope it in.

ED