Drip edge installation on existing roof & gutter nails?

Old 07-16-04, 12:44 PM
tsinbad
Visiting Guest
Question Drip edge installation on existing roof & gutter nails?

When it rains hard, we get water dripping under the gutters and under the eaves(? soffits?). I have replaced all the existing gutter nails with the larger replacement screws so that the gutter is secure. It also appears to be graded (towards the downspout) as well as I can manage without rehanging the whole gutter.

So I thought installing a drip edge would be the next step. I bought some from Home Depot but when I went to install it on our roof I noticed 2 things:

1) It appears we have 2 layers of asphalt(?) shingles and no "paper" (roofing felt?) underneath. When I lift up the 2 layers of shingles all I see is the wood roof (plywood?). Most directions I have seen for installing drip edges talk about installing it under the felt (we are talking about the bottom edge of the roof). But I don't have or can't seem to find the felt so can I just install it between the roof and the bottom layer of shingles? How do I attach the drip edge? With roofing cement and/or nails? Does the roofing cement go between the underside of the bottom layer of shingles and the top of the drip edge or underneath the drip edge?

2) In some places it looks like the drip edge would be touching the gutter nails. Is this ok? Or do I have to cut the drip edge into smaller pieces so that they fit between each nail in question?

Thanks in advance. I didn't see these specific questions answered when I did a search.

Old 07-17-04, 10:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like there may be one layer of shingles over a starter course at the bottom of the roof and no roofing felt.
Normally, drip edge is installed under the felt on a downslope (bottom) and over the felt on the upslope (eave).
Nail the drip edge with small nails about every foot. If it is galvanized, use steel nails. If it's aluminum, use aluminum nails. You can cement the edge of bottom or starter course shingles over the drip edge, if you like.
Snip a small upsidedown V out of the drip edge to fit over the gutter nails, instead of cutting the whole drip edge. Overlap the drip edge, if necessary, about 2-3 inches.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: