ponding roof problems

Old 07-23-04, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ponding roof problems

I'm fixing a flat roof that has been foamed (sprayed) and coated with a white rubber (sprayed and rolled). I put elastomeric on it 5 years ago and it has not worked well. The roof ponds water 1-2 inches in a rain and it seems the elastomeric absorbs it and bubbles like cottage cheese. There are pipes across the roof making using sheet epdm impossible. It seems that "liquid roof" (catalysed epdm) may fix the ponding. Any suggestions? thanks.. jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-04, 09:56 PM
Polyeurathane foam? Sounds like it. The coatings over PU Foam have trouble in ponded conditions. I know of no long term solution except tear-off and reroof. Because the foam is an uneven surface, you can'r use tapered insulation board to get slope. If it is small areas, it is possible to use 2 part, self leveling rubber products to fill the low spots. These materials are expensive. WR Grace Deck Prep is about $30/gal.
Sorry,
Jim

Old 08-06-04, 04:37 PM
Yes, its poly urethane foam. The roofer that originally did the job foamed over the tar and gravel (which delaminated and bubbled up). The second roofer stripped the tar and gravel and foamed over the 2by6 roof deck. Unfortunately they didn't build up with foam sheets to make a slight slope, and this roof is level. I assume they could have glued foam sheets down to stagger the slope towards the outside (where the drains are). The liquid catalysed epdm ("liquid roof") seems like the answer to this ponding problem. I applied it and it is really thick and gluey (like mastic). They claim it will stand total immersion so we'll see. Thanks for your response. The roofer said the surface would have to be coated every 5 years. Not a long term solution isn't the word. I am surprised anyone would do a roof that has to be redone that frequently. It is still a big job (powerwash, scrape, roll out 40 gallons).
Thanks for the response jeff