Re-roofing costs

Old 07-25-04, 12:57 PM
Kari Krewson-Ev
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Re-roofing costs

Aloha. I reside on the Big Island of Hawaii. We are in escrow on a home owned by a single female, age 80. In preparation of selling her home, she just had it reroofed with comp shingle. This house is small--roughly 1300 sq ft--ranch style--nothing fancy--3 skylights. THEY CHARGED HER 26,000 DOLLARS!!!! We feel she has been badly screwed, especially after reading some other pricing threads on your site. The roof was done 3 months ago. We inspected it yesterday and the flashings weren't even placed underneath the shingles. They are cemented, glued, whatever, ontop of hte shingles. Does she have any recourse?

Old 07-25-04, 02:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yikes. Thats pricey. Call the contractor out and make them fix the flashing.

Old 07-25-04, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

OH boy I know it cost more over there but OH BOY. Here take off old shingles and for height and pitch $155.00 a sq.Can you call the BBB there

ED

Old 07-26-04, 11:16 AM
J
Home Depot has been open in Kona for about 2 years and their prices on comp shingle are close to what they are here (ca.). There is no reason other than greedy contractor for such an excessive price. Some prey on the elderly. Labor I have found is higher over there. I have a place on the Hilo side.

Old 07-27-04, 04:51 AM
J
Call the State Contract License Dept. Call the BBB. This is a ripoff. Contractors like this are what gives our industry a bad rep! I could tearoff and install hand formed Copper for less than that!
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: