ponded water problem on 2 flat decks

Old 08-01-04, 02:15 PM
M. W Mackay
Visiting Guest
Wink ponded water problem on 2 flat decks

I own a 3 storey stucco home in a rainforest! There are two decks (5ft X 15 ft) on the third floor. 5 years ago the decks were refitted to prevent leaking. The decks are above bedrooms. The decks are covered with "toorch-on" flat shingle that extend up (maybe 4-5 in.) behind the stucco siding. There is flashing that overlaps the stucco - torch-on. there are two small scupper (drains) that are meant to allow water to drain the deck. Some water, however, ponds on the decks. I have a few questions on what I should do to maintain the decks.

1. The stucco has started to crumble in a few spots, allowing water in behind the stucco. What product can you recommend to patch the stucco?

2. What can I do to prevent water ponding on the decks? Note I looked up this question thru your website previously & came up with this url

http://www.doityourself.com/roofing/...ndingwater.htm

Would this work in my case?

3. The decks tend to dry out (quite hot summers) & the torch may degrade. Is there a product (Black Knight resealants?) that you can recommend to treat the torch-on to extend its life & waterproofing?

Thanks in advance.

WM

Old 08-02-04, 09:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. Find the leak that is allowing water behind the stucco. repair with the same stucco material. Very hard to get a good color/texture match. Suggest hiring a pro.
2. You need to buildup the low area, so that it drains good. Using layers of Cap sheet or torch on is OK. Insulation board is another.
3. The torchon should be good for 20 years. don't try the resaturants as they may react with the APP rubber in the torchon. The work best on built up roofing that uses non-modified asphalt.
Jim

Old 05-01-07, 02:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile demanroofer help

there is a product on the market called acropol it isa fibreglass based sealent and is grey or black in colour which can be brushed on . with the pools of water it depends on how much it is pooling if it is to bad your felt will rot over timeto stop this isnt cheap you need to have it stripped back and lay ferling strips which are lengths of timber for instance from 5 inch to nothing depending on roof size to what fall you want any timber yard will cut these . then reboard and refelt and never have problems again hope ive been of help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: