Yesterday's rain and vent leak

Old 08-05-04, 01:10 PM
freeheeler
Visiting Guest
Yesterday's rain and vent leak

Hello experts,

We had a big rain here yesterday. I was in the basement during the storm and noticed water dripping from the ceiling. I removed the ceiling panel and saw that the water was dripping off the end of a plumbing drain elbow right where it came through the subfloor.
So, I'm thinking it's one of two things:
1. I have a leak around the vent boot.
2. The plumbing has come loose somewhere between the roof and the basement allowing the water that enters the vent during the rain to escape from the pipe and drip down into the basement.

I'm leaning towards number 2 since I had a new roof installed recently and the boot looks good. Maybe the roofers knocked the plumbing loose somewhere.

I'd like to know your thoughts about how to find out what the problem really is and how to fix it.

Thanks a lot!

Old 08-06-04, 05:42 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check 1 first

I'd check #1 first since many roofers do not install flashing around evnt pipes properly...

Your idea about a joint having come loose is a sound one also but a toilet leak or other leak can mask as a vent leak and the fact you noticed it during a rain may only be a coincidence.

Old 08-06-04, 01:25 PM
freeheeler
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips. I'll double check the flashing.

And I wonder..maybe this is crazy..but would it be reasonable to run water into the vent from the roof to test for a loose pipe joint?

Old 08-06-04, 07:46 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No test is Crazy

No test is crazy.

You can run water into the vent pipe to test for a leak, but while you are at it, run water around the flashing and see if that is the problem also.

Best Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: