Ice and Water Dam Question

Old 08-10-04, 08:31 PM
GBHomeowner
Visiting Guest
Ice and Water Dam Question

I've got a question for you. I am going to be staring my roof here in a couple of days. A friend who is a contractor has suggested that I put the self adhesive Ice and Water Dam over my entire roof. He seemed very adament about it. Is this a good idea? It only will cost me $250 more to do so. I live in Michigan, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-04, 07:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Northern Michigan? What's the slope of your roof? A resource site.... www.graceconstruction.com
If low slope & in the North, it is cheap insurance.
Jim

Old 08-11-04, 07:46 AM
P
Ice and Water shield - good or bad?

If you put the membrane on and you have poor or non-existent ventilation, you may actually shorten the life of your roof as condensation will build up and cause rot. So you have to see how the moisture that can enter your roof will be dissipated. If your house is older, it probably has no vapor barrier and poor ventilation at the same time. Putting I&W membrane on this house will cause problems. You need to look at the roof as a system, where the vapor barrier, insulation, ventilation, sheathing, slope and roof configuration all play a role.

Old 08-12-04, 06:36 PM
Wow...the whole roof for only $250.00 more?!?!?!?
I'd jump on that.
The ice and water shield is a roof in itself.
The shingles are merely decoration over it.

However, pgriz is correct. The roof MUST be properly ventilated. Ice / water over the whole roof without ventilation will literally seal up the moisture in your attic and prematurely age your shingles.

So as long as you ventilate it, it would be great to have i/w shield on the whole roof for that cheap.

Good luck

Old 08-12-04, 07:47 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jump on It.

I agree with Jmorgan and Delirious.

Ice and water shield for that price is a bargain and Ice and Water shield has NOTHING to do with moisture buildup in an attic.

That is a VENTILATION problem and nothing related to ice and water shield installation and needs to be dealt with separately.

Old 08-13-04, 06:52 AM
GBHomeowner
Visiting Guest
Thank You for your help

It is much appreciated!!!!

Old 08-13-04, 04:52 PM
J
If you want your friend to continue to be your friend, make sure he knows that genuine Grace Ice & Water Shield goes for about $80/roll in the Traverse City Area. The roll will cover about 2 sqs (200 sq ft) when full coverage is used. If the labor was free and your house had no slope, it must be less than 600 sq ft?????? No way! Figure about $.40 for GIWS the material. Every competent roofer in the TC area knows about GIWS.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: