Proper Flashing around Vent pipes etc

Old 08-25-04, 07:02 PM
teman99
Visiting Guest
Proper Flashing around Vent pipes etc

What is the proper way to put flashing for vent pipes / turbine vents or electricity poles on a roof that was reshingled (torn up, new ones put on). I thought that the flashing should be under the shingles on the top and sides and exposed on the bottom. The roofer put on the flashing with all four sides exposed and used roofing tar or cement all around it!!
Thanks in advance for your answers
Tom

Ps. Is this an easy fix?

Old 08-25-04, 07:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You're right...he did it wrong.
Jim

Old 08-26-04, 07:54 AM
teman99
Visiting Guest
JMorgan1
Thanks for the answer. Could you please explain why I'm right, since I only know from reading the boards that this how others do it. I know I'm going to face the roofer who will have reasons for why he did it this way and I need info on why it should be done the way we have agreed on. Also is this an easy fix?

Thanks for your help

Old 08-26-04, 01:52 PM
You are right. Shingles should be over the top and sides while the bottom should be over the shingle beneath it. As far as an explantion for them, water runs downhill (atleast here it does) which means the shingles above/beside a boot or flashing should always rest on top of it. Plus when the cement they used cracks, you will land up with a leak around that vent.

Old 08-26-04, 06:17 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree, BUT

I agree the roofer did it wrong but the real answer depends upon what type of flashing was used.

For example, Oatey, a well known manufacturer of rain collars and plumbing vent pipe flashing, says that its products need to be installed flush to the roof before the shingles are applied and that no tar-based sealants should be used at all:

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/landing.asp?ctg=4

The main question is what product did the roofer use and what does this product's manufacturer state how it's flashing should be installed?

Old 08-26-04, 07:43 PM
teman99
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your answers. I know he got the material at home depot as far as the manufacturer... I don't have a clue. The one thing i do know is that I haven't seen flashing installed like this on a house, before mine that is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: