Evaluating Metal vs Asphalt Bid

Old 08-27-04, 11:13 AM
jonr
Visiting Guest
Evaluating Metal vs Asphalt Bid

I have a dormered cape with a leaky roof (a small leak/crack) over the dormered, low-pitched addition. I have no idea how old the roof is - the house was built in 1985. One contractor has given me a bid to do an overlay of a standing seam stainless steel roof. It would be an overlay and they will not use ice and water shield. Another contractor has bid about 1/3 higher in price but will do a tear-off, check for damage to insulation, put down ice and water shield, and then asphalt. He claims that there have been problems with metal roofs with the snow sliding off and sitting next to homes causing foundation problems. I live in New England.

1) Better to do a tear off in this situation?
2) If I go with a metal roof should I insist on a tear-off and ice and water shield too? People have told me that with the metal rood this is not necessary.
3) Which option sounds reasonable?
Thank you,
J

Old 08-27-04, 11:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Haven't done a S/S metal roof. Have did S/S gutters.
But on all metal and copper roofs we just put down a 15lb paper then the copper roof . What's the differencs if the snow slides off or the water from it go down by the foundation??????
I would do a full tear off for sure and start all over.

ED

Old 08-28-04, 07:13 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ed's right. If you have had leaks, you need to tear-off to repair deck damage. Recover over wet material is not right. This is true for any kind of roofing material. I go on metal roof leak calls regularly. Only straight gable roofs w/penetrations grouped near the ridge and good slopes are resistant to ice dams.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: