new gutters

Old 08-28-04, 05:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new gutters

Hi,

We had a hail storm back in June which detroyed my roof and gutters. So, I've been getting estimates for the both. One of the gutter guys said he wanted to get in to replace the gutters before the roofers because he would damage the new roof if he got in there afterward. (he was the lowest estimate I received). Anyway, the roofers got started on my house 2 weeks sooner than I expected and I hadn't replaced the gutters. The roofers installed the drip edge and shingles.

Is this true? Will a professional gutter installer really damage my new roof when he puts on the new gutters?

Also, is it better to go with guys who install gutters only? Or are roofers who do gutters as well, just as reputable?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 09-06-04, 07:37 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the gutter pro wants to use gutter hangers that attach to the roof under the shingles. Even using this method he should be able to carefully lift the shingles to attach hardware. Another method would be to attach hanger hardware thru fascia into rafter/truss ends. I volunteer at Habitat and all the gutters are put on after the roof. I think your gutter pro wanted to make it easier for himself. Another issue would be that the roofers could damage the gutters during the shingle tearoff/installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: