new roof buckling

Old 08-31-04, 04:56 AM
kylemick
Visiting Guest
new roof buckling

Hello,
This spring I had a new roof put on, the contractor stripped the old one off right down to the planks. Now a few hot summer days have passed and many of the shingles (30 yr. arch) have warped and buckled. I assume that it is because he did not leave sufficient room between the shingles for expansion. He claims that he can fix it very easily, but I can't imagine that there would be a quick fix for this. Has anyone dealt with this problem, is a new roof necessary, what should I have him do? I don't want to have him back for more repairs next year, and I don't want shingles to buckle and ice to get underneath the roof this winter. THanks for any advice!

Old 09-03-04, 07:15 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Warping Buckling Shingles

Warping, buckling shingles are a symptom of not enough roof ventilation.

The problem indicate the roof 'attic' below is getting to hot and is 'cooking' the shingles and will diminish their life expectancy.

This may not be your roofer's liability, but you will need to have your roof system examined and evaluated as to how you can add proper ventilation to correct the issue.

This my include adding soffit vents along with ridge vents, roof vents, turbine vents or other roof system vents.

Old 09-04-04, 05:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd be surprised if it is ventillation related. It is just happening too quick. Overheated shingles take some time to begin buckling and curling. I would check that the installation was done properly. For example, if the bundles were not flat and the shingles were installed when cold, the ripples in the shingles can't flatten out when they get hot.
Jim

Old 09-08-04, 12:53 PM
kent hodgson
Visiting Guest
Cool Buckled shingles

I agree with jmorgan1, it's too soon to blame it on improper ventilation. I had my house re-roofed about nine years ago and experienced the same warping of the shingles. I noticed the buckling when I installed the ridge vent and soffit vents. My roofing contractor told me the same thing yours told you and after a few hot summer months they layed down just fine. Proper ventilation is essential to the life of your roof and your heating and cooling bills but never causes such problems so immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: