Need Advice ASAP - before I pay the contractor

Old 09-04-04, 04:14 PM
emsluis
Visiting Guest
Need Advice ASAP - before I pay the contractor

I just had my entire roof replaced, it is a hip roof where all 4 sides go up and has a flat section approx 4' x 8' at the top. The roofer first said he would put a commercial roofing product on the top part, then just before I signed the contract he said he would put a low slope product on since the comercial product didn't have as long of a warrenty. As the material arived I went through and found this low slope product. On the package it said the slope must be a minimum 1:12 pitch, but this top part of my roof looks as flat as flat can be. I asked the roofer and he assured me that he would put a slope to the roof, even drew me a picture of a triangle. So I said OK. Now the roof is done, I looked at the top part, there is no slope, it is 100% flat.

So now my question is, what should I do? Will that product work on a flat roof even though the manufacturer says not to install on less than a 1:12 pitch? Also, where the flat section meets up with the angle sides I can see light through that area, it just doesn't seem right. I gave them a 1/3 deposit, they said they would stop by tuesday to pick up a check for the remainder so I need to figure out what to do before then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed.

Old 09-04-04, 04:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the job require an inspection by your local building department? If so, i would get them to check it before you move any farther along.

Old 09-07-04, 07:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most, if not ALL, of these "modified" rolls (low sloped roofing) do not hold up under standing water. The manufacturer most likely will not give a warranty if water doesn't drain off within 48 hours.

The exception is a product called "pitch". If you remember the old telephone polls that had that black gunk on the sides....that's pitch. It has a very distinctive smell.
If he used a "pitch" product, then it could be on a flat roof. Pitch can take ponding water.

I do not believe that this is a pitch product from what you have described.

If you remember the product name, you can look it up on the internet and get the application instructions. Maybe even call their technical department. They will give you the best info since they are warrantying the material.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-04, 08:49 AM
JUSTININRI
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Code Enf.

Call The Biulding Official They Will Not Allow Him To Leave That Mat. Fair Warning Though Sometimes It Can Get Costly When You Open Pandoras Box . You Never Know What The Heck They Will Make You Change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: