Flat Roof Woes - Please Help!

Old 09-11-04, 05:19 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Flat Roof Woes - Please Help!

Greetings,

I live in an 8 year old townhouse with a flat roof that measures 16'X42'. I have been told it has been constructed poorly because there is no ventilation. The joists are sandwiched between the roof and the ceiling. So I have alligatoring going on but that's the smaller problem. The roof has a slight slope like it should except in an area about 5' long across the width of the roof I get standing water that will not drain off but has to evaporate. So I get this 5'X16' puddle about 2 inches deep. Clearly the slope was not constructed properly. There is no damage. This is just the way the house was constructed originally.

Is there any easier fix other than tearing up the roof and starting over? Could I use something to build that area up and then recover? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave.

Old 09-12-04, 06:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The alligatoring has nothing to do with the ventillation ( or lack of). Asphalt exposed to sunlight alligators. You have a tough situation. The best is the tearoff and buildin slope. You can buy tapered insulation at you local roofing materials distributor. Find some standard cuts in stock that make sense for you. Don't get it too thick. You will be putting new roofing material over this board. The hard part is getting a good enough lap onto the existing roof. This lap will be subjected to the most water of anywhere on the roof. Make a BIG lap, seal the uphill area VERY well.
Jim

Old 09-18-04, 08:52 AM
JUSTININRI
Visiting Guest
Smile Drainage

Have A Drain Installed !!! Easy Fix

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: