Fascia cover install - How To..!

Old 09-13-04, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Fascia cover install - How To..!

Hello again, you techies....
Im looking for some guidance and info on how to install fascia covering to existing fascia boards.
What I want, I cannot find, so I'll have to go with what is out there in the market.. ie. color (need black, but no where to be found, so I'll have to go with brown). The DIY stores (ie HD/Reno-here in BC) have 2x6 fascia cover at that exact measurement..ie 2"x6" - which is not 'trim' material. I found a local outfit that has 'trim' material (ie 5-3/4"x1-1/2"....+/-) that fits the finished trim of my existing fascia boards. (Why the HD/Rona have 2"x6" is unknown to me...but whatever....).
My existing arrangement at the roof edge does not have a drip cap..or in this case, gutters.
So tucking the fascia cover under that is not in the 'cards'!
/\ - Roof ridge (not to spec)
Normally, from what Ive read, is that the fascia is tucked in and behind the drip cap. Since I dont have that, what is the best way to install the fascia cover?
Should I attempt to install a drip cap under the existing overhang of the shingles....or forgo the drip cap and just try to 'finagle' the fascia cover up to the shingles....and tack it into place with appropriate nails?
...Is there a site where I can view this procedure in depth?
Will certainly welcome any info/advise etc...you can offer.
I have searched.. and all I could find was this....
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=12902
TIA - as always.
Jatco..........

Old 09-18-04, 09:06 AM
JUSTININRI
Visiting Guest
Smile Facia

First Nothing Stops You From Spraying The Material Black
Second There Is A Material You May Consider To Accept The Top Of The Facia Its Called Siltrim Or Undersil It Is Sold With Vinyl Siding You Just Have To Make Sure You Have Enough Shingle Overhang And Again This Can Be Sprayed

Old 09-18-04, 12:01 PM
Thank you...for responding, Justin in RI.
I know I can paint the brown black that would fit in better with the existing trim etc...but was hoping to avoid painting...'coz that too, would need painting again in the future. Do you suppose it would be ok to paint right over the brown or should the brown be primed 1st, then sprayed...or should I ask in the Paint forum?
How much shingle overhang is enough? - and what would be the best way to attach the 'siltrim or undersil' to the existing roof ridge? - Is that trim face nailed..or normally installed before the roof is installed?
I guess some construction adhesive could work..if I cant nail it.
tia

Old 09-18-04, 03:33 PM
JUSTININRI
Visiting Guest
Smile reply

I Was Actually Thinking Spraypaint You Would Not Need To Reapply. The Siltrim Will Get Nailed Right Below The Shingles And Will Give A Nice Receiver For The Facia Just Make Sure The Shingles Overhang The Siltrim/undersil...

Old 09-19-04, 08:42 AM
Cool.
Thanks for the info
I'll check it out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: