Damaged roof quick fix to resist the next hurricane

Old 09-16-04, 07:37 AM
bledo
Visiting Guest
Damaged roof quick fix to resist the next hurricane

Hi

My 20 year old roof had some shingles flown away with frances. About 25% of shingles on 3 out of the 6 slopes are damaged. The tar paper is still there so I did not had damaged inside the house. I quickly covered the damaged area with some tarps and everything is fine until now.

The problem is that there is a new hurricane comming (jeanne) so I am affraid the tarps will fly away and also some of the tar paper leaving my roof exposed. The question what is the best thing to do:

1) By shingles for the damaged area (if I can) and nail them. I am affraid that the shingles need some heat or sunshine to stick together so they may fly away as well.

2) By tar paper rolls and nail (or glue) them over the existing ones. Will that be enough?.

Could you also giveme some advise about how to prepare the roof in either case?

Thanks

Plase email me to bledo@cfl.rr.com

Old 09-16-04, 08:59 AM
CarpenterMan
Visiting Guest
Re: Damaged roof quick fix to resist the next hurricane

bledo,

The tarp will only hold if you secure it with firring strips along all sides and vertically every 24-30 inches across the width of the tarp. 1 5/8 to 2" screws placed 18" apart along each firring strip will secure the strips to the roof, and thus the tarps. I would avoid using nails, as we had some pull out with the strip during Frances that were holding down the tarps we put in place after Charley. You should be able to pick up firring strips at a local lumber yard or home center. If you cannot find them, you can also use 1x2 dimensional lumber (pine) since it is only a temporary fix. Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-04, 09:21 AM
bledo
Visiting Guest
What about those tar paper rolls I've seen placed by some contractors as a temporary fix. (I think they are tar paper rolls, might be something else)

Old 09-16-04, 10:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say where you are down here. But check out at city hall. They have just got in a lot of the whole house blue vinyl cover. The guard is going around and put them on for you "CHECK it out"
As you will have the roof reworked later.you can get what is called cold tar and mop the 15 lb felt down over it to help and you can mop the roof to .It will help hold the shingles. home depot amd lowes have the cold mop tar.

ED

Old 09-17-04, 06:06 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try nailing down Grace Ice & Water Shield instead of felt (tar-paper). Much tougher doesn't tear easily. You can reshingle over it later.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: