EMERGENCY Roofing Question

Old 09-19-04, 05:02 AM
MyDragonfly71
Visiting Guest
Unhappy EMERGENCY Roofing Question

I live in a duplex-type home. Recently, heavy rains caused me to find a leak the roof between my home and my neighbors home. The leak was discovered in my daughter's bedroom in the ceiling right next to the "common" wall. I know it's difficult to answer this question without actually looking at the roof, but since I just recently bought the home, would it be possible to have a claim against the home inspection company because the inspector actually got up on the roof to do the inspection? The inspector literally picked apart the house, touching on the smallest of things, so I'm thinking this is something that he shouldn't have missed, being that he pointed out three other things while on the roof. The home was inspected in the last week of June, this year. Any help would be appreciated as I need to get this problem fixed soon.

Old 09-19-04, 06:44 AM
JUSTININRI
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Leak

I DOUBT YOU HAVE ANY RECOURSE WITH THE INSPECTION CO. BUT IT WOULDN'T HURT TO TRY

ROOF LEAKS ARE LIKE CANCER YOU SOMETIMES DONT KNOW THEY ARE THERE UNTILL THEY MANIFEST SYMPTOMS..

SOMETIMES YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE THERE IS A DRAMATIC MISTAKE IN FLASHING ie.,but,FOR THE MOST PART,YOU CANT TELL WITHOUT STARTING FROM SCRATCH
REMEDY: IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THIS PART OF THE ROOF THIS WOULD BE A PLACE TO USE ROOF CEMENT AND LOOK FOR A PRODUCT CALLED ROOF FABRIC IT COMES IN A 6 IN ROLL YOU APPLY CEMENT THEN FABRIC THEN CEMENT KINDA LIKE FROSTING A CAKE ANY QUESTIONS I'LL CHECK IN LATER

Old 09-20-04, 11:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inspectors can't find everything, as I'm sure he told you when he gave you his report. He's paid for what he found, not for what he missed. Since he already found three problems with the roof, could one of them be the source or your leak? Since water travels, the damaged area could be far from the source of the leak.

If you're looking for recourse, you should try the roofing contractor. The roof could still be under warranty.

Oh, and since you just purchased the home, did the seller provide a home warranty?

Old 09-24-04, 07:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Find out where the leak originates. It may be on your neighbor's side but runs to your side. If it is on your neighbor's side then he needs to fix it and pay for any damage to your side.

When you bought the palce, you probably recieved a homeowner's warranty from some company for a period of 1 year. Read that carefully and see if they cover it.

When was the inspection done? The point is that you paid for an inspection and you should expect to get what you paid for. Check your copy of the inspection and see if the problem is listed. Never mind what he told you because that does not count. If the inspection was done a few months ago then it would be reasonable that the leak was there during the inspection and should be listed. If the cause is something that would have reasonably existed during the inspection then you have a case. If it is not listed on the inspection then contact the inspector's boss and tell him what the problem is. Follow up with a nicely written professional letter. They may be cooperative depending on how you word it. Be firm and stick to the facts. Like I said, never mind what he told you. If it is not in writing, it is his word against yours and you have your copy of the inspection to prove your side of the situation. (Remember how car salesmen promise you everything and you will get the idea of how to handle oral versus written)

I dealt with an inspection company in this manner and they were very professional. They came back to re-inspect the problem and paid for repairs after they were satisfied that they should have detected the problem.

Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: