Sky light?

Old 10-03-04, 09:17 PM
lxx1077
Visiting Guest
Sky light?

Hi, The roofer will come to replace the roof with shingles next week. He could offer a free installation of sky light if I buy the materials. But my husband and I have alittle argue about the necessity of putting an sky light over the small ketchen. Because we might want to expend another room next year, not sure if the adding on part will cover the sky light if we do it now. I heard it is much better to do the sky light when do roofing, otherwise there is high possiblity of leaking. I am not sure shall we do it now or later. Also we just purchase two type of sky ( 2 x 2) light from Home Depot. One is flat with wood frame, like glass made one( cost $120 + flashing about $50 ). The other one is plastic with self flashing, round top. ( cost about $60). I am wondering which one is better considering the insulation, energy saving, reliability of not tend to leaking etc. Also considering ligth tunnel, will it be same as sky light for adding value to the house? Appreciate your input. I need to make a decision very soon.

Thanks,
-lxx1077

Old 10-28-04, 08:11 AM
joseph123
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by lxx1077
Appreciate your input. I need to make a decision very soon.
Hi.

Please tell us, which one did you pick?

Old 10-28-04, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
from my experience of 30 yrs
you dont need to install it now, you can do it later
as for the skylite
i would recommend one that is thermal glass with low-e (argon gas)it more cost efficience on heating and ac
as for the other one you have i would not recommended it (good for a rv)
as for tunnel type well i saw some and for me it does not let much lite in
something like a light bulb recess lite in ceilling. Not much coming in and about 10 in diam

hope this helps

pg

Old 11-04-04, 02:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
self flashing

self flashing never works... buy the Velux.
They are the Cadillac of "Roof Windows"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: