Sealant for old, leaky torch-down roof?

Old 10-13-04, 05:49 PM
J
jwfsmith
Visiting Guest
Sealant for old, leaky torch-down roof?

I have a ranch with a low-slope (2 in 12), torch-down roof that has developed one leak in my carport. After several attempts to find and patch it, I've realized the water must be getting in at a higher point and running down between the roofing and base layer before it comes out. The roof is over 10 years old and is marginal at best. Have already looked into new roofing costs, but there is an outside chance we could remove this roof structure entirely not too far down the road, replace it with new trusses at a steeper slope, or (in my dreams) a second story loft. So I'd like an inexpensive, short-to-medium term solution as an alternative to an "investment" or "homeowner" grade roof.

Is there a sealant I can apply to the whole roof that would be effective at plugging a leak and also give me one more year (maybe two) out of this material? I need something that will really work with the existing torchdown material, and I have not heard good things about the rubber coatings, snow roof, and the like. Not looking for pretty or for reflective, just need to seal up the cracking asphalt product that is there.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-04, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black plastic roofing cement on all of the cracks.
Use old clothes, throw-away rubber gloves, and smear it on thick with a putty knife or flat stick (pieces of old yardstick works). This stuff is very sticky.
You can put that stuff on in the rain and it will seal.
It comes in up to five gallon containers, I believe.
Good Luck!
Mike