Rolled Roofing

Old 10-16-04, 10:28 AM
Des
Visiting Guest
Rolled Roofing

We recently purchased an older home that has an outdoor screened porch with a low sloped roof. It had asphalt shingles. We noticed that it was very leaky and had a roofing contractor come in to evaluate it. He claimed it needed to be replaced and did so with the same asphalt shingles, however
it was still a little leaky in 2 or 3 spots especially around the skylight. He came back several times, but could not control the leaks. Finally he told us he would put a new roof on. When we got home we found that he had put rolled roofing on top of the one he already put on. It looks terrible! and looks like it is not lying flat but looks pretty warped. Did he do the right thing? I don't know anything about roofing but before I give him a hard time I want to make sure. thanks!

Old 10-16-04, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
IF he removed the old shingles and installed roofing felt (and new flashing around the skylight) under the new shingles, about the only way that it may leak is around tacks if rain is being blown hard back under the shingles.
Rolled roofing, especially on a low-slope roof, should be flattened out and tacked across the top about every 6"-8" and overlapped about 3" on the layer below it and the bottom edge sealed with black plastic roofing cement under the overlap.
Good lucK!
Mike

Old 10-16-04, 12:20 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Rolled roofing

Rolled roofing goes beneath shingles not on top. As indicated, a proper installation requires removal of old shingles and rolled roofing, the installation of new rolled roofing and flashing, then new shingles.

Old 10-16-04, 01:10 PM
Wink

Code here would call for all the old roofing off there. Check all wood. Put down a 30 lb felt nailed 12" on center then mop the roll roofing down with hot mop.

ED

Old 10-16-04, 08:01 PM
Des
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input...I don't know what I am going to do now.
He hasn't returned our calls and I know he is getting tired of
hearing from us. Hopefully he will come back and do the right thing.

Old 10-17-04, 12:14 PM
Wink

Call the BBB there and tell them. Ask code there what they say .

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: