Ridge Vents on roofs with split sheeting

Old 10-18-04, 12:37 AM
A Green Novice
Visiting Guest
Ridge Vents on roofs with split sheeting

undefinedI am reroofing my house and one contractor recommends ridge vents while two others suggest dormer vents. The ones opposed to ridge vents cites dust buildup or wasps getting into attic through the vents; another says old houses with skip sheeting diminishes the effectiveness of ridge vents.

Does anyone have any experience similar to this one? I was leaning toward ridge vents until I heard the negatives.

Also, will ridge vents draw out the heat during winter months?

Old 10-19-04, 04:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ridge vents exhaust and require an intake to work....typically soffet vents. The best solution is gable end vents in your case.
Jim

Old 10-20-04, 01:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say where you are. But do go with the gable vents and vents in the over hang. You do want the vents open in the winter. They should be open all the time you dont want a moisture build up in the attic. All a roof is there for is to keep the snow rain and wind off the top of the insulation so think of it as open all the time.

ED

Old 10-27-04, 02:42 AM
A Green Novice
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for your reply. I will ask my contractor about gable vents. My location is Northern California so snow is not an issue for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: