Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

How do I repair the leaks from my Patio roof (corrugated transparent stuff?)

How do I repair the leaks from my Patio roof (corrugated transparent stuff?)

Old 10-22-04, 02:39 PM
ssaibal
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How do I repair the leaks from my Patio roof (corrugated transparent stuff?)

Hi,

I moved into this house in the summer and enjoyed the deck/patio which was partly covered by this corrugated plasticy transperant roofing. With the first rains here in northern california, it leaked from many places.

I can see that overlap between the edge of the building's roof and the patio roof is not much. Is that one of the places ? I haven't been at home during a daytime rain and so can't pinpoint the places from where the water is leaking in, but it is generally all over the deck (20' x 10'). Could it also be that the areas where the panels are screwed to the 2x4s ? What is the best way and material to fix this problem ? Any suggestion is highly appreciated for this novice home owner.

Old 10-22-04, 04:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Corrugated fiberglass panels last only a few years before they yellow and become brittle and begin leaking. They're primarily used as light diffusers for greenhouses and arbors and aren't suitable for keeping out the weather.

If your panels are still in good shape, the transition between the house eave and the patio roof is a likely source of water. Even if the eave overlaps the panel, the wind will blow the rain into the gap. There is no way to effectively seal this transition.

Some silicone caulk at the screwpoints during installation will forestall leaks at these points, but not indefinitely, as the fiberglass will begin cracking at these points, unless the framing is exceptionally rigid (not likely).

Old 10-22-04, 09:34 PM
ssaibal
Visiting Guest
Thanks Razz

Thanks Razz for the info. Looks like I should look for replacing the roofing. Do you recommend Suntuf as a cheap alternative ? And could a novice like myself do it on my own or does it need professional help ?

Old 10-23-04, 06:33 AM
R
I have never used this product, but it appears to be stronger and more durable than the corrugated fiberglass. Its advantage in your application is that you may be able to re-use the existing patio cover framing. And the closure strips they provide can keep the rain out of the gap. Looks like a great DIY project, which your supplier can probably give you tips on.

Maybe another forum member can relate personal experience with Suntuf and Palruf.

Old 10-23-04, 10:45 AM
J
I agree w/RAZZ. I am not familar with either of these products. Corrigated metal should work fine for this application. Add a skylight for light.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: