Roof Shingle Replacement

Old 10-26-04, 07:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Shingle Replacement

A few of our roof shingles were blown off a couple of months ago from the tropical storm that passed through. How do I replace just a few shingles and do you think any damage has occured in the couple of months since the shingles have been off? I believe the shingles are asphalt.
Responses are greatly appreciated!

Lynn

Old 10-26-04, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Find some just like them . Go up under the top shingle find the nails and pull them and the piece of old shingle out. Slip new one up under there and nail just like the old one. Might help to put a dab of roof cement under the new one to help hold it down.

ED

Old 10-26-04, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the quick response!
My husband is leaving for Iraq soon and we're in our first home. It's VERY nice to have feedback on things like this.
Thanks again!

Lynn

Old 10-26-04, 01:10 PM
Wink

If you need anything just ask here andd some one will try and help you out . my best to your hube

ED

Old 10-26-04, 10:07 PM
Yes, Lynn.
Come here anytime for help.
I find this entire site one of the most informative I've ever seen.
I'm on here all the time and I can get just about any question answered somewhere in here.

PLEASE tell your husband "THANK YOU" for me.
Speaking for myself, I think he's doing the right thing and I greatly appreciate his service to our country. I believe my children will grow up in a great country because of people like your husband.

I will be praying for his success and safe return.

Old 10-27-04, 11:10 AM
hi
just make sure you remove the nail on top of the missing shingle.
The shingle sheet are about 13 1/2 to 14 inches so they overlap.
just remove the nail from the thorn one and lift the other shingle tab above the thorn one and check for nails.
then remove the old one and insert new one and renail it. make sure the tab matches the replacement one.
good ideal is to used some caulk under the new one to secure the tab and put some under the top one also

Old 10-27-04, 04:01 PM
J
Usually I trim about 1" from the top of the last course of replacement shingles. Before you slide it up in there (under the existing shingles), add a little roof cement along the bottom of the top edge, then don't attempt to nail the top in. The cement will glue it on. I then use 6 nails at the nail line of the new shingle. You can hold the existing shingle up and out of the way while you hammer the nails in.
JIm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: