Downspout extension.

Old 10-28-04, 06:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspout extension.

Hello,

I am a new homeowner with marginal abilities as a home handyman. I have several aluminum downspouts on my house with ten extensions leading the water away from the house. However, these are very much in the way. I noticed in the basement window wells a black plastic tubing that goes into the ground and is capped off. Is this likely a drain for my downspouts into the sewer system? I believe where I live we can drain downspouts and sump pumps into the sewer system. If so, do I want to hook my downspouts up to these, and do I need some type of leaf trap?

If not, I was considering running the downspouts into the ground in a perferated drain. I assume I would put some type of leaf trap above the ground to prevent clogs below the ground. First, is this possible? Second, is it advisable?

Old 10-29-04, 05:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
i would go for the second option.
If you put your downspout in the black pipe in your window it might overflow and water migth filter between the footing and the concrete foundation for there to much water comming in.
If you can just dig a trench and place your drainage pipe covert with a mess fabric and try to let it drain in a ditch.
cheers

pg

Old 10-31-04, 04:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Downspouts

Use the Non-Perforated Pipe from downspout to storm drain inlet, street curb, or other disposal area. Or you can run it through a perforated pipe after it gets away from the house to leach into the ground. You can purchase adapters to stick in ends of downspouts so you can attach pipe. Window wells are usually drained by running a line of non-perforated pipe from a drain in the bottom of the well to a disposal area. Gutter guards on gutters will keep leaves out of downspouts and drainage pipes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: